five

CW: could be considered self-harm

The Prince, the Duke, and Nasrin spent the rest of the night discussing their plan. Nasrin had taken off her robe at some point to become more relaxed but the Duke sat straight as a pin, alert and on edge. She had long taken down her orbiting knives but the tension in his body never eased. The Prince seemed to find the whole setting amusing, even though his friend looked annoyed and a little scared for his life. He spoke as if they were old comrades planning for a war ahead. Nasrin found it oddly comforting.

"Will Duke Cerulean not find it curious that you never mentioned me before?" It seemed Duke Castanea had not picked up on the obvious animosity between Nasrin and her father even if she had confessed to wish to ruin him. Could the coddled and spoiled Duke not imagine a strained relationship between the two or was he trying to prod Nasrin for more information? Either way it rubbed her wrong, as she turned towards him with a tight smile on her lips, her hand flexing in anger. The Prince noticed.

"My father and I do not speak often, he would find it more suspicious if I began telling him of such...delicate matters." The Duke huffed as if in acknowledgment and allowed the Prince to continue his planning. It was an hour later that the trio was satisfied with their steps ahead.

Nasrin would tell her father tomorrow that she was in love with the Duke and the Duke would come to the Cerulean Palace the same day. The plan was perfect, they had strategized for different reactions to such a confession. They agreed to meet at the Duke's palace after every two weeks to keep the Prince updated on any developments and necessary adjustments in plannings. Before Nasrin could stand to collect her belongings the Duke spoke.

"Why do I need to come?" Nasrin was at her wits end with the Duke. She even felt compelled to draw her sword, not to hurt him but more-so to silence his irritating questioning. Her bones ached from exhaustion and the glare in the Duke's eyes only spurred on her discomfort.

"He won't believe that you love me, you need to prove it." She said it like it was obvious and it unsettled the Duke. Why did she hate her father so much? He could understand the distrust but why was there so much animosity between them? She clearly wasn't the same villainous duchess he had met years ago, he had thought she was a spoiled apathetic brat who found entertainment from others' suffering but instead what sat in front of him was a hot-headed warrior. He didn't understand her motivation or wholly trust her, but she was aiding the nation and that would have to be enough.

"That's settled then." The Prince stood to leave, Nasrin made no movement. She had to settle one last thing.

"Pardon me but your highness I hope you will not tell Carnelia about anything discussed here. I don't want her to get involved or know my other identity." Nasrin stood then too she wasn't quite the Prince's height but the sword by her side made her feel just as tall. He raked a hand through his pristine golden strands and allowed his crystal clear blue eyes to study Nasrin's set expression.

"I understand, you have my word." Nasrin nodded at his words and she cast one last look at the Duke who stood as well to bid her goodbye.

"I will see you soon then Duke." He nodded at her albeit hesitantly and she bowed towards both of the men before teleporting to her room.

Nasrin quickly changed into her nightgown and skipped the bath she desperately needed. It was far too close to Cynthia's appointment time to bathe now.

Nasrin spent the day preparing herself for the Duke and her father's face-off. Her father would never believe she was caps able of being loved especially not by one his closest business associates. They would have to act their asses off.

She had asked the young duke to come early, her plan was to tell her father and then right after ask him to meet with the Duke. Her father hadn't hurt her in a while, he still touched her underneath the dining table where she couldn't act out because of Carnelia. He knew what he was doing, but that didn't stop Nasrin from bringing a knife to his hand whenever she could.