xxiii. hero's journey

SPOILED INNOCENCEchapter twenty-three❝hero's journey❞

SPOILED INNOCENCE
chapter twenty-three
❝hero's journey❞

fBABY SAT OUTSIDE THE SKETCHY MOTEL WITH AN UNDENIABLE FEELING OF GUILT IN HER STOMACH. She didn't know why she agreed to go with Maddy to see Nate. She didn't know why she didn't beg Maddy not to go. Maybe it's because she knew no matter how much she begged, Maddy would end up doing whatever she wanted to in the end. Most of all, Baby didn't know why she was still sitting on a bench in front of the office at the motel.

She had been sitting there for ten minutes, waiting for her mind to make a decision. It was stuck between waiting for Maddy, calling someone to get her, or walking home. The middle of the three seemed like the smartest decision. It was also the one she wanted to choose the most. She wanted nothing more than to be curled up next to Andy on his couch like she was hours before, but instead, she sat on a cold bench wondering what to do next.

A deep, familiar voice pulled Baby from her thoughts.

"Need a ride?"

Baby looked up only to be greeted by none other than Cal Jacobs.

"I promise I won't bite," he joked.

Baby found herself giggling even though the joke wasn't all that funny.

"Are you sure you don't mind?"

"C'mon, Baby, I'm not just gonna leave you out here."

Baby walked around the truck and climbed in, getting a strange tinge of deja vu as she did.

"What are you doing out here anyway?" Cal asked as he pulled out of the parking lot.

"Moral support, for a friend."

Cal nodded even though he had no clue what that meant.

"So how are you and Marsha? How is Meredith?"

"Marsha and I are okay. Her Aunt Wilda passed away two days ago, so it's been rough."

"Oh no, I'm so sorry. How is Mere holding up?"

"She's doing pretty well, despite everything."

Baby sat there in silence, trying to hold back tears. She loved Meredith in a way different than she had ever felt before. It was a maternal kind of love. She would do anything to see her again.

"I just wish this could all be over," Baby whispered.

"I know."

This time the tears began to slip from her eyes, making her face beat red.

"It isn't fair."

"I know."

Baby wiped at her tears as Cal pulled out of the parking lot. His hand effortlessly glided through the air and lightly landed on Baby's knee like a feather. She stayed still and her eyes stayed forward, everything froze.