xvii. the impending doom of apologies

SPOILED INNOCENCEchapter seventeen❝the impending doom of apologies❞

SPOILED INNOCENCE
chapter seventeen
❝the impending doom of apologies❞

BABY HAD BEEN RIDING CLOUD NINE FOR THE PAST FORTY-EIGHT HOURS, BUT NO AMOUNT OF EUPHORIA SHE GOT FROM ANDY WOULD HAVE BEEN ENOUGH TO DISTRACT HER FROM THE IMPENDING DOOM SHE FELT WHEN SHE SAW MADDY PEREZ. As soon as she saw her dark-haired counterpart from across the hall, she felt her heart drop to the pit of her stomach. Everything from the night of the carnival came back and snapped her out of the daydream that was Anderson.

"Shit," Baby whispered to herself.

"What?" Anderson asked.

"I have to go fix something," she said simply. "But I'll meet you in second hour, okay?"

"Yeah, good luck, Baby."

Baby reached up and kissed her boyfriend (she was so excited she finally had someone to call that) before she made her way to her friend. 

When she got to Maddy, she lightly grabbed onto her wrist which caused her to turn around. She looked like shit, about as bad as Baby had felt the past few days.

"What do you want?" Maddy asked as she crossed her arms.

"I'm just so sorry about what I said at the carnival. It was really stupid of me to say all that shit, I didn't mean any of it. It was that something just had happened with Jules and I was really upset and angry and I just took it out on you. It was so stupid."

Maddy showed no emotion as her eyes scanned over the younger girl's face.

"Can you please say something?" Baby desperately pleaded, wanting any reaction even if it was bad. "Like, please, say anything. I'll do anything to make it up to you."

The tears started to build in Baby's eyes as her throat started to burn. She tried her best to push them down because she didn't want to look weak to the older girl. Everything about this had felt very reminiscent of a few months prior to when she apologized for being with Nate.

"Stop groveling, bitch, it's fucking pathetic."

The shock partly helped to shut down the waterworks even though her words had cut through Baby like a knife.

Maddy saw the hurt in Baby's eyes and immediately softened. She took the blonde's hands in hers, her thumb rubbing soothing circles on the back of Baby's hands.

"Yes, Baby, of course, I fucking forgive you."

"Oh, thank god," Baby sighed, instantly pulling Maddy into a hug. 

She held the older girl close and buried her face into Maddy's neck. Maddy reciprocated, rubbing small circles into Baby's back.

Even though they had only been friends for a short time, Maddy knew she would always forgive Baby for anything she did. She didn't know why she felt that way and she kinda fucking hated it but she knew that there was nothing that Baby could do that would be unforgivable. She even tried to scour her brain for a reason after Baby had confessed she had been with Nate. After playing out a million in one scenarios, Maddy discovered that even if Baby had known about Nate and Maddy being in a relationship, she still would have forgiven her. She also knew that even if Baby had gone as far as actually having sex with Nate, she still would have forgiven her.