Chapter One - Escape

WC : 542

Mumbo's lungs burned, he had been running for so long. He always told himself he would run but never did; today was the day he finally did. Guards shouted behind him, surprisingly fast for how much heavy armor they wore. He had no clue where he was running, the unfamiliar streets of his kingdom were uneven and full of dead ends. It was surprising how much he didn't know about the kingdom he would someday rule. He was at a disadvantage here, the guards grew up in these streets, they patrolled the labyrinth of paved roads. Mumbo on the other hand, was never allowed to leave the castle, the only time he had ever seen the city was from the top of the east tower, barely tall enough to peer over the towering walls that kept him in and the commoners out.

"Shit," Mumbo stumbled again, tripping on an uneven patch in the concrete and nearly ramming into an old lady. People ducked out of his way, backing up even farther when they saw the royal guards following him.

Mumbo turned into the closest ally, almost crashing into a wall. "Double shit," He started frantically looking for a place to get through but nowhere was big enough for him.

"Hey," A faint voice called, "quick up here."

Looking around he saw a pale hand sticking out of a curtained window about four feet above his head. Mumbo quickly shot his hand out to grab the strange hand but hesitated; was he really going to take a random stranger's hand? "You don't have time!" The stranger whisper-shouted, "you've gotta trust me if you want to escape the guard."

"There he is!" A shout came from behind Mumbo, the guards had just turned the corner of the ally, about two minutes behind.

Screw it, Mumbo thought, either this stranger would kill him or his father would, what did he have to lose? He took the hand and felt himself instantly hoisted off the ground, the guards reaching the dead end just as he disappeared into the window.

Mumbo blinked, adjusting to the dim lighting inside, all the windows were covered, the only light being candles that looked to be on their last legs. He took a sigh of relief, the guards would find a way through the window but at least he could take a second to breathe.

"Ahem," A voice called from beneath him.

"Oh! Pardon me." His cheeks flushed, embarrassed he climbed up off the man who had saved him.

"It's okay!" The man replied, "Those guards will be up here soon, follow me."

Mumbo shrugged, already came this far, no going back. He followed his mysterious savior closely, twisting from ally to ally before stopping at a small door.

The mysterious man knocked a few times before a woman opened the door. The room was small, a table and some chairs sat in the middle. "Grian..." The woman warned cautiously.

"I know, I know Gem, but he was being chased by guards," Grian soothed, "besides, he's fast, he could be useful,"

"You know that's not how this works, the whole counsel needs to agree." She shot a concerned glance at Mumbo.

"Um, hello? Can one of you explain what's going on?"