The Training Session

Start from the beginning

They all shook their heads, "No. There's a reason we put you in solitary confinement." The green haired one snickered, then she raised a finger. "But due to the fact we are already beginning to get bored please feel free to dismantle a peacekeeper or two. They are guarding the doors." The other flufferpuses gasped at her but she just smiled.

I looked over at the men who stood guarding the door. Through the gleam of their helmets I could see the shocked expressions on their faces. I felt a smile stretch across my face, I suppose I could make an exception.... Did you know I can smell fear?

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Mark Titus, District 6

I must say the screams that came directly after the redhaired girl from District 4 was dragged into the room were quite terrifying. Yes, she was definitely number 3. She would be hard to beat her but I had to have faith that Karen and I's love would prevail that through the games. I looked over lovingly at my sweetheart who sat on the other side of the room filled in which the tributes mingled in nervously before the screening. Karen had been avoiding me. I think she is nervous to admit her undying affection to me. She would come around. I was sure.

After the screaming died down I watched number 10 get up from his seat with a grim expression of determination on his face. Number 20 smiled encouragingly, giving him a thumbs up and tucking a blonde strand of hair behind her ear. The two were obviously close.... number 10 could easily prove to be a threat, number 20 could prove to be an asset if pushed in the right direction. I stared at her as the wheels in my brain turned. Did I dare try to start something? Most tributes didn't dare to stir the pot before the games, in their narrow minds the game didn't start until we were put in the arena, I knew better through. Haltingly I stood up wringing my shirt in my hands as number 10 moved across the room and walked into the training session. I walked over to number 10 who sat twiddling her thumbs nervously. When she heard me she looked up and smiled. The gesture took me off guard. It was very strange. Nobody ever smiled at me. They mostly scowled. Or just looked away.

I hesitated. What do you do when people smile at you? "Uh. Hi." I said because really that was the only thing that I could think of.

She moved over on the bench upon which she sat, giving me room to sit down. This gesture too was foreign. I sat down, "I- I just have to tell you this...." I said haltingly, suddenly the ever so slightest ping of guilt for manipulating her like this. 10 was probably planning to backstabbing her anyway, I was just informing her of the inevitable. Yes. And I will be ensuring Karen and mines future together. I'd do anything for Karen.

20 looked at me with concern. "What? Is everything alright?" Her expression was nervous now as she stared at me in confusion.

I rubbed the back of my neck. "You seem really sweet and I'd hate to leave you in the dark...." I took a big breath. "I overheard your district partner plotting with the tributes from 11 to kill you during training."

She gaped at me. Her expression stretched and then she nodded slowly. "Thank you, but I'm sure you misheard. Braven would never kill me." She said softly with a small, hesitant smile.