Chapter 9: "You did?"

Začít od začátku

Carter, of course, made no attempt to catch me.

I groaned and turned on my back, extending an arm out towards his standing figure. "Help."

All he gave me was a smirk. "That was pathetic, but also really funny." He helped me back up.

"Shut up."

"So, I guess we'll have to wait a few days until you can-"

"No. We can't do that. It's way too dangerous for us to stay in one place. Plus Ez is going to be in trouble soon."

"What? How do you know?"

"The mission report, Carter. Seriously, just ten minutes. That's all it would take to read it."

"Not all of us have your weird Analyst brain! I prefer actually doing the mission rather than wasting time reading the fine print."

"This fine print is what's gonna save your life, Carter."

"Yeah, yeah, let's focus on the problem at hand, shall we?"

"I guess you're just gonna have to carry me then."

"No," Carter stepped away, hands behind his back, "I am never doing that. Nuh-uh. I am putting my foot down for this."

****

"You're too slow," I complained.

"Would you like to try walking?"

"I'm good, thanks. Just walk quicker!"

"I will shoot you right now if you don't shut up."

"No you won't! You saved me," I sang, the remnants of drugs making me a little loopy.

"I literally just need you so we can find Ezra."

"Yeah, but then you got all sappy and saved my life!"

"I will drop your dumbass body on the dirty floor if you don't stop."

"No you won't! I'm inju–argh! Carter! Get back here!"

"The car is right here. You can drag yourself over," He patted the vehicle that was a whooping six feet away from me.

I made a big show of dragging myself over, wincing and groaning every few seconds to really rub in that guilt. Carter didn't budge, leaning against the car and kept on scrolling through his phone- completely unbothered. He looked up when I sighed heavily.

"Ya finished, Drama Queen?"

I gracefully gave him the middle finger in response. My eyes laid upon our mode of transportation for the first time and I gasped, sitting up. "I am not getting into that thing!"

"It's a car."

"It's a monstrosity!" Bright, eye-watering yellow with red curse words sprayed across the back and two of the windows were broken.

"I'm sorry for not being picky while you were bleeding to death!" Carter snapped, hoisting me up by my arms and plonking me in the front seat.

"Apology not accepted." I sniffed and grabbed my emergency bag. "Right, from what I can remember, we need to go to some place called 'Motmot ceja turquesa'."

"What does it mean?"

"Apparently, it's Spanish for 'Turquoise-browed Motmot'... which is El Salvador's national animal."

"How far away is it?"

"Not too far- about half an hour's drive from here."

"What if I go over the speed limit?"