𝟬𝟬𝟯 introductions

three: introductions cobra kai — season 3, episode 3

cobra kai — season 3, episode 3

      IT HAD BEEN A COUPLE OF DAYS SINCE THE DIAZ BOY HAD WOKEN UP, AND SKYLAR WAS STILL CONJURING UP THE COURAGE TO SPEAK WITH HIM. Every time Skylar would hear his name being called through the door, or the nickname that his family would call him ... 'Miggy' ( which she found cute ), Skylar would feel fear creep on her veins and a knot twist in her stomach from the idea of talking to him.

    She sighed, standing to the side of the door where she wouldn't be seen by the Hispanic. Skylar talked to herself, murmuring comforting phrases under her breath. Skylar glazed up from the floor, took a final deep inhale, and stiffly walked in. Miguel looked up, expecting it to be his mom or Yaya but a confused expression plastered on his face at the sight of the unknown redhead.

    He furrowed his brows, questionably calling out, "hi?" He dragged on. Skylar seemed to freeze on the spot, and her palms became clammy. Usually, the redhead would be good at meeting people in the hospital, but she didn't meet people her age much. Skylar warmly smiled, "uh, hey. Sorry, this must be confusing," She nervously chuckled, "but I'm from the room next door. I'm Skylar.

    The boy had a look of realisation hit him. He remembered seeing the girl through the window, sending a wave and quickly moving out the way before he could return the gesture. A smile littered his face, "I'm Miguel."

    Skylar commented, "I know," She said and thought of how creepy or weird that would sound. She tried to fix up what she said, although she dug a bigger hole for herself, "I mean, like, you were on the news from that school fight. And I kind of asked around about you," She paused, stuttering, "n–not asking like–like that, but ..." Miguel chuckled, causing Skylar to stop and sigh, "I've just dug myself a hole I can't get out of, have I?"

    Miguel shrugged, a snicker escaping from Skylar being unintentionally being funny due to her awkwardness, "seems like it," Skylar winced to herself, her face creasing, "great," A silence engulfed the two for a bit until Skylar spoke, "uh, you got your neck brace off. Makes you seem like a whole other person."

    The Hispanic nodded, "yeah, I got it off not that long ago," He smiled, asking a question, "you do voluntary work here a lot?"

    Skylar would get a question like thag a lot. Just like Johnny had asked when he came and visited the brunette, but she shook her head and lifted her wrist where her identification band was hidden beneath her sweater, "no. I'm a patient here. I've been for a while. That's why I know my way around and asked about you. I know everyone, and when someone new comes in, I try to help them feel comfortable. I don't know, it's stupid, but it helps me feel ... useful."

    "It doesn't sound stupid," He said in a genuine tone, "I feel more comfortable already," The boy shrugged and Skylar laughed at the expression on his face jokingly. He wanted to ask why she was a patient—she looked healthy. No cuts, nor broken bones. Doesn't look like she was sick, so what was wrong with her? Miguel gulped, "what are you ...–why are you here?"

    Skylar, at first, thought he meant why was she in his room, saying hello. She raised her brows, trying to come up with an excuse that sounded reasonable, "I don't–I mean, to say hi I guess, which I did. So, if you want me to leave, I can go. I just have this thing for you–"

    Miguel cut her off and corrected himself, "no. I mean, in the hospital. What are you doing here?" He asked and Skylar felt straightforwardly dumb, standing there with an embarrassed look, "oh, um, I'm epileptic. I have seizures," When the boy heard that, he apologised which Skylar shrugged off, "don't worry about it. I'm sorry you're in this situation. Being in that fight couldn't have been easy."

    The boy nodded his head, his eyes absentmindedly glancing down to his legs which Skylar noticed, a frown plastering on her face, "heard about how you might be paralysed. The surgery should help," Miguel furrowed his brows, glancing at the redhead, and she explained, "the walls aren't that thin. So, sometimes I hear you in your room with your mom. Like how she calls you Miggy."

    The Hispanic gazed at her, almost in embarrassment, his cheeks flushed red. Skylar chuckled, taking a seat in the room where Miguel followed her frame, "don't worry about it. I find it a cute nickname. Mine's Sky. My brother gave it to me. But what's going on with that surgery?"

    Miguel's posture seemed to tense up more, "it should help me be able to walk again. But, there's a chance that it might not work. My family doesn't have the finance for it anyways, so," Skylar nodded her head solemnly, staring at the boy with sympathy, "I get it. I mean, it's scary not knowing what your future looks like, you know? You could be walking, or stuck in a wheelchair. But that doesn't define who you are. You seem like a good person, Miggy," She teased at the end.

    The boy's eyes quickly turned to her, a smirk lifting on his face uncontrollably. Probably the first real smile he wore since he had woken up from his coma, "I see how it is, Sky."

    Both of the teenagers burst into a fit of giggles. As they calmed down, Skylar cleared her throat, the tone of her voice becoming more stern, "no, but, I'm serious. The surgery will work anyway. Your family might not have the finance, but on the news, your friends are working on a car wash donation for you. You'll get the surgery, and you'll be on your feet in no time."

    Miguel found comfort in the girl's words and her smile. His chest was warm, his heart at ease. Skylar's brows raised in remembrance and fished in her pocket as she spoke, "I almost forgot, but the main reason why I came in here was to give you this," She finally pulled her hand out of her pocket, one or two hundred bills grasped, "think of it as a bearing gift on becoming friends."

    She passed it over to Miguel who was staring at the money with a look that Skylar couldn't read. He counted it to be three hundred and gazed up at the redhead, "I know it's not a lot. But, I hope it can help out just a little bit with your surgery."

    The boy shook his head, thrusting the money over back to Skylar, "I can't take it," Skylar softly smiled, closing his fist around the money, and shrugged, "I don't need it anyway. I mean, what the hell am I going to use it for? I insist. Really, it's okay. Take it."

    Miguel felt tears building in his eyes causing him to blink rapidly, a grin taking over his features, "thank you."