CHAPTER THIRTY NINE: Concerns

Start from the beginning

Leaning back against the railing, Killer mirrored the cross of my arms, the buttons of his shirt around his chest threatening to pop.
"She tried to steal from us late one night. We caught her, and she was our prisoner for a little while until we got to know each other better."

I really had to keep a check on my temper. I wanted to immediately snap at him, maybe punch him right in the helmet, but I had promised (Y/N) I wouldn't lose my cool. Taking a deep breath, I nodded and continued my interrogation.

"This is a ship full of men. You can't possibly tell me that none of you ha-"
"Let me stop you right there. I'll admit, it's likely that more than one member of the crew has a thing for her, but as bastardly as we look, we aren't the kind of men who force ourselves onto any woman."

Sure, you say that...

My irritation was likely obvious, but I didn't care. He had to know I meant business, not that I could take him on in a fight. I'd seen his wanted posters and I had heard stories about the Massacre Soldier's combat skills. It would he suicide.

"You said you'd lay down your life for her. Does that mean you're included in the count of people who have a thing for her?" I asked bluntly, and I could see the man lean a little, looking at her from over my shoulder with the others.

"She's an incredible woman. Brave, painfully stubborn, and smarter than people give her credit for. I respect her, and I care for her, but don't worry about me trying to win her heart. Our relationship isn't romantic, or sexual."

He sounded impressively sincere, but the way he spoke about her made me question his words. It sure sounded like there was more to it.
"Is there anybody on this ship I should be worried about, then?" I asked, suspicion building.

"Yourself, for being so invested in who your sister is into." Killer stated, and I was abruptly taken aback for a few moments. "She's an adult, Paulie. I know you care about her, and you want to protect her, but regardless, she's going to make her own decisions."

You're right, but I can't help it.

Pinching the bridge of my nose, I moved to sit down on one of the crates by Killer, pulling a fresh cigar from my jacket and sparking it up.
"So that's a yes. There's someone she's involved with, is what you're saying."

I didn't like it, but the pirate was right. What could I do? As much as I wanted to, I couldn't keep her from venturing out again. She loved Water 7, but I had witnessed how it had slowly been killing her as she grew. All I could do was fret and support her simultaneously.

"Hey! Quit it! You're heavy!" I looked over to where (Y/N) was carrying on, the captain of the Kid Pirates with his arm resting atop her head and a smirk playing on his lips.
"Am not. You're just weak."
"You are too! Eustass Fatass!"
"Haaah?!"

Oh. Shit.

"He's starting to change, and it's all thanks to her." Killer stole my attention away from the bickering duo, and I was thankful for it. I could feel my blood pressure rising immensely. "Ever since he was a brat, Kid's always had trouble when it comes to people. He's never been the type of guy people flock to, or even like, to be honest. It's trial and error, but he really tries for her. There's a lot more to him than what people care to see."

That doesn't make up for the things he's done, or will do...

We sat in silence for a little while, me choking my stress out with nicotine and him just standing there, stoic as they came.
"Killer! Killerrrrrr! Call off your Neanderthal!" (Y/N) yelled out, Kid having her by the scruff, still smirking, which caused my fists to ball.

Heaving a sigh, Killer stepped away from the railing and started off towards her to the rescue, hands in his pockets.
"Trust her, man. Cotton wool wrappings don't suit her." I just watched as he made his way over to my sister and the hulking captain, plucking her out of his grip and setting her feet on the ground.

The way she looked at them. Both of them. She obviously had deep, intricate relationships with them, as well as her other crewmates, but it made me feel uneasy. (Y/N) had always been a magnet for trouble, but now that she was on the open sea, on a pirate ship filled with wanted men, trouble turned deadly, whether she had people looking out for her or not.

Just by watching I could tell that there was something between my little sister and Eustass Kid. Even as they argued back and forth, getting up in each other's faces with snaps and insults, there was a spark. A strong, hazardous spark with teeth and claws, drawing them closer to one another.

It scared me.

"Hey, Pauls, you good, man? You look constipated again. You'll never get yourself laid looking like that." I nearly squeaked when (Y/N) appeared in front of my face, my quick, unintentional intake of air causing me to hack and wheeze on far too much smoke.

"Sh..Shut up..." I grumbled, standing up and ruffling her hair so she wouldn't get a good look at my face, which was likely still pinched with concern. "I'm gonna say that the work that criminal you sail with wants will probably take a week, week and a half, max. You can stay with me for the time being."

Flattening her hair back down, (Y/N) peeked up at me, shaking her head.
"Thanks, but I'm not running the risk of Mama or Papa dropping by unannounced. Besides, Iceberg already said we can all stay at Galley-La HQ."

Great. They'll all be together. Just great.

"You better have your own room, then. With a lock..." I muttered, following her as she began to walk.
"Nah, where's the fun in that? Besides, we have our nightly kinky rituals to do."

I nearly tripped over my own feet, cigar falling down the loose front of my shirt and burning my chest.
"Owowowowow! Shit! (Y/N), you better not be serious?! What have these creeps done to you?!" I shrieked, feeling my face blaze when she threw back her head and cackled like a maniac.

"Oh my god, I've missed this! Learn to take a joke, Pauls! It'll do you some good!"

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
***Donate here for Paulie's mental health fund ------> 🪣

A little more Kid next chapter - there's a lot I want to fit into this arc but we'll see how we go.

Next Time: Sight Seeing***