↻ ◁ thirty-two ▷ ↺

"but she'll trade it all
for a heart that's whole"

After spending some time with Camryn over the weekend, it started to become increasingly clear that my mother wanted to see me

After spending some time with Camryn over the weekend, it started to become increasingly clear that my mother wanted to see me. I don't know what gave me the idea exactly—maybe the countless texts I received during the movie we were watching that were telling me to get home as soon as I could. That could've been it.

The entire drive home, I worried. I know we were dealing with the whole Mateo Mora situation, but other than that, I had no clue what could've had her so adamant about seeing me. And since we'd never texted much up until a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't tell whether she was seriously in trouble or just being a mother.

Although, when I walked through the door and she was sitting at the kitchen island comfortably with a smile on her face and an apple in her hand, I suppose I had my answer.

"Mom," I said as I closed the door behind me, essentially announcing to her and Francis that I was home. She turned to look at me, beaming.

"Ivy!" She pushed herself off of the barstool to meet me at the door and pull me into a hug—something I was still trying to get used to after going years without any kind of physical affection from her. "Where were you? Are you okay?"

I stared at her in confusion as she let me go. "Yeah, I'm fine; I was with Camryn. Are you okay?"

"What? Of course I am," she said with similar skepticism. "Why?"

"You texted me, like, eight times," I explained, "I was worried that you were in trouble or something."

She chuckled. "No, no, I just wanted to talk to you."

"About what?"

"Well, I want you to free your schedule tomorrow."

I tilted my head to the side, sending her a puzzled glance. I was supposed to get lunch with the girls tomorrow, but if this was really important, I guess I could take a raincheck for once.

"For what?"

"I'm taking you dress shopping for prom."

A bubbly sensation settled in my stomach as I relished in her words—words I never thought I'd hear from my mother. Of course, things were still weird between us; I mean, how can you go from being practically estranged to a perfect mother-daughter relationship? But it was nice to hear that she was trying to be thoughtful.

"Are you sure?" I asked, not trying to get my hopes up in case she was making a promise she couldn't keep for some reason.

She nodded. "Absolutely. We can make it a cute little mother-daughter date and spend the day at the mall. How does that sound?"

Truly, it was like she was speaking a foreign language. A beautiful foreign language that you couldn't help but want to keep listening to. It almost sounded too good to be true.