Chapter 18

I swallowed.

"Ai, who is this?" Jon asked.

"The one who will be supervising your execution. Making sure it's done right this time." Sean answered for me.

"Excuse me?" Jon replied. Sean ambled towards Jon and took him by his shoulder. His fingers rested on a pressure point. Squeeze hard enough and Jon would be out like a light. Jon was guided near the edge of a roof. Though dubious, had no choice but to heed to Sean's wishes. I watched their backs and they exchanged a few inaudible words. Sean's arm glided through the air as if he were declaring a speech to the people below and Jon looked at him. With the help of the bright lights shining up from the city, I could see the trepidation and uncertainty in his eyes. Then Sean steered him around to face me.

"...And her? She only wanted to use you. She must've played with your mind. Toyed with your feelings. I'm sure she made you think that she liked you. She never did. Ai never likes anyone. Her only purpose in life is to serve under my revered name." Sean almost flared his eyes at me when he said this. A gust of wind blew back my hood and exposed the shame and dread crawling into my expression.

Sean stepped a few feet away from Jon and closer to me, twirling his finger in the air to say let's wrap this up. I unzipped the bag and pulled out the pistol. My trembling hand raised it and I made eye contact with Jon for the first time since entering the building. He raised his eyes from the ground but there wasn't fear in his eyes. There was sadness. There was pain. He lifted both of his hands in the air. Tears started to line the creases in his face, but he smiled.

"If this is what you must do, you should probably do it," he said.

I took a quivering breath and gripped the gun with my other hand as much as I could to keep it from falling out of my shaking hands. The breeze sent my hair fluttering behind me as I started to apply pressure to the trigger.

Bang.