Chapter 9

On our way back to my apartment all I could do was watch Lila as she strolled ahead. We were traversing city square now. Many people walked from all directions, occasionally bumping into us with rushed apology. Buskers stood outside shops emotionally and passionately playing their instruments. Only when Jon stopped humming is when I realised he was doing so in the first place. He was eyeing me again. Jon placed his hand on my shoulder and lightly squeezed it. He smiled at me. I sombrely stared back at him.

I would've been Lila's age when my sister died. But all I could see was Mei, and it pained me. Jon noticed my anguish and took my hand in his.

When Sean first found me, he claimed I had PTSD. I frequently had nightmares about the incident; I blame myself entirely. But never – not once, have I had someone to comfort me.

I tried to show no reaction to the gesture. I didn't know how I should have, anyway. Instead, I just looked up.

The skyscrapers loomed above us like trees in a forest. They were straight and uniform and made you feel so small. In that moment, I noticed the small shiny light atop a particular building. It looked like a star that had fallen from grace. Even from so far away, as I peered at it further, I could perceive it as the glint of a lens.

"Get down!" I yelled.

Lila ran towards us and we all ducked down onto the cobbled floor as the whiz of the bullet soared cleanly through the air before puncturing the ground beside us. When I raised my head, I saw a man with tattoos that peeked out of his sleeve; he was a syndicate member. He was also completely unaware of the bullet that landed inches away from him. The bullets of a sharp shooter were far too developed for their own good. The only time you'll notice someone trying to shoot you is when they hit you. Normally, I would've let this man die. But the unhinged aim of whoever was trying to murder him was going to hit the wrong person. Namely me, Jon, or Lila.

I cursed. For once, I didn't have anything on me. No guns, nothing. Maybe I have been getting too carried away. I seized the member's shoulder and demanded for his gun, glaring into his soul. Sceptical, he refused, and I tightened my grip. He let out a small yelp and reluctantly pulled a Glock out of his pocket. I made a face. Not the best model in this situation but I had to make do. People continued walking beside us as if there wasn't a firearm in my hand, being readied to shoot.

I raised my arm towards the roof of the building where I first caught sight of the sniper. I never knew how to explain it, but sometimes it's as if my eyes are like scopes. I can sharpen my vision even if my target is so far away and make them out distinctly. As my time as an assassin went on, it became less of a discovery and more of a habit.

My current target had set up on a building that was undergoing construction, only made up of steel bars and wooden platforms. There were around a hundred metres in between us, but it was few enough. I positioned myself so my right foot was forward and shut one eye for precision. I fired three times.

Immediately, people looked my way as I lowered the gun, but their attention quickly switched to a woman screaming in the distance. I pulled the hood of my jumper over my head and my eyes gravitated toward the commotion. The culprit of the scream was pointing towards the construction building. The now-lifeless perpetrator was falling from the roof, followed by their sniper. I took Jon's hand with Lila in his other and we hurried out of the square as the demands of police officers rung through the air.

We stopped when we made it to a slightly more deserted street. One where the recent incident was unbeknownst to the passers-by here. Lila had bent over and rested her hands on her knees, panting. I looked at Jon, and the expression was not one I was hoping for. It was fear-stricken.

"You just..." he started in a breathy voice.

"Jon, you already knew I did this," I said defensively. "They were close to missing another shot and firing at your head instead."

"I just didn't know you did it so... Willingly."

I didn't know how to reply to that. I expected an awkward silence until Lila perked up behind Jon.

"Yeah, but did you see that shot? That person was all the away on the roof of a building, and she got them with a pistol. That's like, superhuman." Lila's eyes were wide in awe and she was still clutching her laptop. I glanced back at Jon. His expression had softened but I could tell it was still weighing on him. No use trying to convince him otherwise.

As we resumed walking back, Jon asked: "Why do you do what you do?"

"I was offered a lot of money. And I was saved by hell from my boss. I owe him." That's what I've always told myself, at least.

"This is owing him?" Jon said quietly as he motioned to the Glock that was still in my hand.

"Jonathan, she saved your life. Is that so hard to accept?" Lila said. I shot her a thankful smile and she responded likewise. Jon gave in and sighed.

"Thanks, Ai," he acknowledged.

When we reached the door of my apartment building, Jon was almost fully upbeat again. I leaned against the frame of the doorway and watched their backs. Mid-conversation, Lila light-heartedly punched Jon and raised her voice. So, Jon snatched the laptop out of her hands, making the situation worse. Eventually, Lila chased Jon out of sight.

Must be nice.