Chapter 9: Sudden Promotion

Canterlot Castle

Seventeen Hours Into Eternal Night

Twilight

Quietly, carefully, Twilight slowly closed the door behind her, leaving Nightmare Moon sleeping on the bed. She got a last glimpse of her black fur as the door closed with a quiet 'click.'

"Good-night princess."

"GAH!"

Twilight spun around to face the source of the unexpected voice. The deep baritone belonged to a tall bat-like pegasi she had never seen before. The stallion had dark grey fur and tufted ears. His eyes were yellow and were slit like Nightmare Moon's. His wings were like a bat's, black and leathery. His armor was thick and silver, though Twilight suspected there was hardened iron beneath the silver furnishings. The stallion smiled at her pleasantly, revealing two small fangs.

"Is everything alright princess?" He asked her in a concerned tone.

Twilight didn't know what to say. Two things above all kept her from replying. First, this was a type of pony she had never seen of before, only heard about in legends. Two, the armored stallion was addressing her as princess.

PRINCESS!

"I...I'm sorry, but you're mistaken. I'm not the princess." Twilight told him carefully.

The stallion cocked his head as if thinking, though his posture was relaxed, so he obviously didn't see her as a threat.

"Are you not Twilight Sparkle, daughter of Nightmare Moon, Empress of Equestria?"

Twilight stuttered as her mind picked up what he just said.

"Empress? Since when was did she become Empress?"

The stallion nodded his head as if something had just been confirmed.

"Ah, I see. You have been asleep for the most of the past twenty-four hours yes?"

"...yes."

"Well your highness, when Celestia failed to reappear and with the Royal Guard currently in custody and her imperial majesty's army in Canterlot, the nobles of Equestria immediately recognized the empress's claim to the throne and swore eternal fealty to her."

Twilight shifted uncomfortably at this revelation and scowled, the nobles were always a pampered gaggle of cowards. Twilight then looked at the stallion curiously and opened her mouth to say something, but he interrupted her.

"You are Twilight Sparkle correct?"

"I...yes, yes I am."

Then to her complete surprise, the stallion kneeled before her. He lowered his head and his silver armor clinked as he bowed.

"Then by the Empress's command, I Noctis, Knight-Commander of her majesty's Imperial Legion, do hereby swear loyalty to you, Twilight Sparkle, Crown Princess of Equestria."

"P—P—Princess?!?!" She stuttered.

Noctis's ears flickered and he straightened back up.

"Oh." Noctis said carefully. "Has her majesty not told you yet?"

"Um...no. Told me what?"

Noctis reached with a leathery wing and pulled out a piece of parchment from his armor.

"Here, this should explain things."

Twilight took it from him with her magic and held it aloft in front of her, eyes darting across the page.

Heir of the Nightmareजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें