Chapter 1: Silent Chains

The surface of the moon

Five hours and one minute after the banishment of Nightmare Moon

Luna

She couldn't stop screaming.

Darkness rolled over the surface of the moon, shifting at mind-breaking speeds as it encircled the source of its turmoil. Dust was kicked up into the black void from the rage that infested the lunar crust.

Black chains were spiked down by long iron stakes, nailing their prisoner to her charge.

There in the center of the largest crater, an alicorn with the fur of a moonless night was held down by enchanted chains that consumed her magic, binding her in the darkness.

Luna was in great pain, her wings were bound to her sides, pinned down by a thick iron ring that surrounded her barrel. All four of her legs were captured by unyielding chains that stretched out over the surface of her moon. Her neck was clamped by a collar that fastened to the hard rock beneath her.

She couldn't breathe, there was no air for her lungs to take in and so they scrunched in agonizing contractions, desperate for anything to fill them.

She could barely move, her chains pulled at her feeble body in different directions, stretching her out until any movement she attempted was met with agonizing torture.

Even her tears became a curse, for whenever she cried, they would freeze instantly from the lack of any warmth, burning her eyes with their frozen spikes that dug into her pupils.

She knew that soon she would be in even more agony, for there was nothing she could do to quench her thirst or satisfy her hunger.

But the worst was the silence.

No matter how much she struggled, pawed, and screamed there was nothing for her ears to receive. The trapped mare was left with nothing but the maddening ringing that her ears produced.

With nothing but a lifeless wasteland and empty space to cast her hellfire gaze, with naught but vacuum to fill her frozen lungs, the eroding princess desperately grasped the last dregs of her sanity that held her besieged soul together.

A bitter hatred and a shred of love was all that remained of Luna.

Love for a small filly she had just brought into the world. Luna had been filled with joy at her birth, for now there was somepony that she could empty her love into, but now those forlorn hopes were dashed to pieces with her banishment. How could she take care of and love her daughter when they were now worlds apart? All Luna had left to give her daughter was a fervent prayer that her child would survive, and remember the mother who loved her.

That one hope was crushed under the tempered hammer of the nightmares cold logic.

We know that Twilight will die, no one knew of her existence. She will die alone and forsaken.

But....sister will find her....probably....and c-care for her......f-for me.....

Sister will leave her to die, we know this. She will not care for the child, not when we have betrayed her.

But surely Tia' would spare my innocent foal! She would never abandon her family.....

Like she has left us to freeze on this forsaken wasteland? Celestia will give the child over to her stolen subjects, letting them do with her as they please.

No!! My beloved child.....my little star......please be alright......

She is dead as sure as we are imprisoned on this rock....the last hope is gone......what is left to do?