It's too deep (part 1)

Kinec hums to herself as the transport boat flows across the water, the island already in sight. She could easily jump off the boat and fly from here to get to the shore faster (like sky kids tend to do when in a rush). But she enjoys the ride while she can, wanting to delay things a bit longer. Her last visit was quite hectic. Her mission to find gems for the spirits turned into her dodging krilli and swimming for her life. She doesn't understand how everyone else is so fearless around them. Even after all this time she still has nightmares of the dark dragon's roar echoing through Eden. The blue lights they cast turning red once they see light creatures. Including sky kids like herself. The Krilli could kill you. Not easily if you have a lot of winged light. But the fear is still there. Kinec thought this place was far enough from the monsters for her to travel and explore the reef. But it doesn't matter where you are in the wasteland, the creatures of darkness will always be nearby. As the boat stops at the shoreline, she stands up, taking in the dull colors and the cloudy sky. Drawing in a breath, she climbs out of the boat, patting the side as a thank you before stepping into the mouth of the cave.

She hums her tune once again as she steps into the shallow waters of the cave. She ignores the art on the wall of the giant krilli she saw a week before. She usually feels joyful at the thought of swimming here. Though the land here is bland, beneath the water is a rainbow of colorful creatures and plants. She always wanted to swim before, the water calling her as much as the sky did, but couldn't quite figure out how. It wasn't until the other kids found this place that she learned to swim underwater. The manta's spirit granted her its knowledge. She hits the drop-off and swims to the middle of the pool, takes a deep breath, and dives.

Underwater in the cave is dark and rocky, but she can see the reef through the tunnel entrance. She swims through and only pauses for a moment to look for any signs of danger.

 She swims through and only pauses for a moment to look for any signs of danger

It's still safe.
No krilli in sight.

If she wasn't holding her breath she would sigh with relief. Thank goodness, it looks like the Krilli stayed in the dark ravine. Glancing around a second time she has to remind herself of the task at hand when she spots the manta flock.

"I can play with them another time." She thinks, swimming across the lake to the spirit's ship.

She flies out of the water, landing gracefully in front of the spirit guide. Kinec gives a wave and smiles beneath her mask. The spirit guide, who Kinec calls Abyss, does the same.

The other spirits soon materialize in their usual positions. They all salute each other in greeting. Kinec, already knowing the routine, follows suit. They go at ease and the meeting begins. The leader, the Ceasing Commodore, has a thoughtful look come across his face as he looks over his crew members. Kinec follows his gaze when he stops on the spot the Cackling Cannoneer always stands. He turns his head around, looking this way and that. The question is clear for everyone even when they don't speak.

Where has he gone?

The Anxious Angler shrugs and the Bumbling Boatswain looks around as well. Kinec glances up at Abyss, wondering if she knows anything. She places her hands on her head and shakes it, showing her stressed mood clearly. The Commodore scratches his beard as he thinks. After a few moments, he spots a small boat across the lake and points to it. Kinec and the crew members look where he's pointing. Its a smaller boat then the one they are on currently, and the boat that transports you here. It floats near the tower across the lake. A small voice whispers in Kinec's head, as it always does when she receives a mission from the spirits:
"Search for and bring back the Cackling Cannoneer"

By the time she looks back, the crew members are all gone besides the Spirit Guide. She's got more work to do. She looks to the glowing spirit, who nods encouragingly at Kinec. Kinec dips her head in acknowledgment before jumping into the sky and flying over to the boat. She glides down and her stomach twists in a knot as she lands. It's empty. He's not here... he must be underwater, presumably looking for gems. He lost the little competition last time Kinec and the spirits went on a gem hunt and seemed upset. As far as Kinec knows him, he probably wants to show his skills off. She sighs, glancing at the calm blue waters.
She doesn't want to go but without much hesitation, she dives in to find him.