Chapter 4: Oh, Cotton-Headed Niggy Muggins!

"Santa, tell me if you're really there. Don't make me fall in love with him if he won't be here next year. Santa, tell me if he really cares. 'Cuz I can't give it all away if he won't be here next year."

It ended up being a sister's-slash-boyfriend-slash-husband movie day. Ryan joined in halfway through the movie and instantly bonded with Sammy, telling him all about how he and Kiley met. He told him how happy he was for me that I finally found a man like him.

Heat flooded to my cheeks when Ryan said that. Not to mention, a tad bit of guilt flaring in my chest knowing it was fake. I shoved that thought aside. I just wanted to enjoy my favorite holiday with my family and worry about that when we get to it.

After Love Hard was over, we turned on a Christmas playlist on YouTube and started singing along to our favorite songs. We were singing at the top of our lungs, using our fists as fake microphones and jumping up and down.

"I've been down this road before, Fell in love on Christmas night. But on New Year's Day, I woke up and he wasn't by my side."

We were interrupted when mom swung the door open. Panic swarmed her eyes as she bounced Jasmine in her arms in an attempt to cease the ear-ringing crying. Without her having to say anything, I immediately lowered the volume of the music which seemed to ease the crying and the red in the baby's face.

"Sorry, mama." Kiley took Jasmine from her grandma's arms. We followed her downstairs and the first thing I noticed was the snow through the window on the front door.

We don't get that much snow in Albany, but a little bit was sprinkling across our front yard.

I grabbed my winter coat from the coat hanger and my snow boots, yelling over my shoulder that I'll be outside. I opened the door, being slapped by the freezing winds before closing it behind me.

I sat down on the porch steps and listened to the sound of the snow dancing to the ground. That was another thing mom and I had in common.

Before I moved away, she and I would sit out here every Winter with a mug of hot chocolate and watch the snow fall.

There was something peaceful about the sound of snow and since I'm going through a tough breakup, I figured now was a good time to step outside and let the stress melt away.

The front door opened and, in my peripheral vision, I noticed Sammy claiming the seat next to me. He handed me a mug of hot chocolate topped with a nearly-overflowing mountain of marshmallows.

I knew mom was the one who did that. She knew how much I loved a ton of marshmallows in my hot chocolate. The second the mug was wrapped by my cold hands, warmth spread through every inch of my body. I didn't take a sip yet as it was far too hot, but I watched the steam twirl into mid-air.

"How are you feeling?"

I inhaled and looked at my best friend. The look of pity was nowhere near his face, thank God. Just genuine worry. "Better. My sister and I talked about it earlier and she made me feel a lot better about the situation."

Dead silent.

We only heard the snow for the next few moments. The sun was descending, making room for the moon to rise. In the meantime, there was an orange glow behind the trees that lit up the front yard and I could feel it on my face.

I felt eyes on me and noticed that Sammy was staring at me. When he was caught, the corners of his lips tilted upward.

"What?"

A slight blush colored his cheeks, but he never looked away. "Nothing."

I was about to ask for more assurance that he was okay when the door opened and mom stepped out in only her sweater with her hands rubbing together.