Epilogue

Epilogue

One year later...

"What about this one?" I showed him this house as he was picking out what to wear for the day. It was two stories high, a nice kitchen with granite countertops and an island where the sink was and a big living room that was perfect for entertainment.

It had two bedrooms - the master where the walls were painted a light grey matched with tile flooring and the bathroom had a steep bathtub and a long vanity set and the guest bedroom. It looked similar to the master. It had the same colored walls and same tile.

The bathroom was decent with a glass shower door with one vanity that had a marble countertop and the bedroom was big enough to fit a queen-sized bed which was suitable for whoever would like to stay there.

Sammy looked up from his duffel bag and glanced at my phone screen. He only jutted out his bottom lip and nodded. "It's nice."

I wasn't sure what to make of that reaction. He didn't seem too excited and immediately resumed shuffling through his bag.

"That's it? That's all I get?" I mimicked his deep voice. " 'It's nice'. You're not excited to move in together after graduation? You're the one who said you wanted to."

"Of course, I'm excited, love. It's just that none of the houses are popping out at me." He stopped what he was doing and kneeled down in front of where I sat at the edge of the bed. "I only want what's best for my girl. We gotta get ready, love. Guests should start arriving in about an hour."

I leaped off the bed to start getting ready. One thing that my mom hates was tardiness. If she gave us a five-minute warning to get ready and I was still in my pajamas, she'd decapitate me and have dad help bury my body.

Quite specific, but true.

I already showered this morning so all I had to do was get dressed in my black, knitted and oversized Christmas sweater with Santa printed on the front, leggings and the brand new boots I bought for this occasion.

I swept lipgloss across my lips and curled my hair before throwing it up in a ponytail. I finished off the look with the snowflake necklace Sammy bought for me last year. Approving my look in the full-length mirror, I nodded to myself and sprinted downstairs.

Mom was in the kitchen preparing the cookies and the cheese, cracker and grape charcuterie for the party. Kiley was feeding the kids before she and Ryan dropped them off at my grandparents.

Kiley told us the news this summer that she got accepted into law school so she is well on her way to achieving her dream. When she found out she got accepted, she screamed bloody murder and jumped up and down on the bed until Ryan had to hold her down to calm her.

Ms. Campbell was here to help with the decorations while Vanessa was talking to her baby girl, Chelsey. Since talking it out last year, Vanessa and I have gotten closer. Not exactly to where we were in middle school, but close enough.

During the summer, we'd been hanging out by going to concerts, going out for brunch and shopping for maternity clothes.

As for becoming a mom, James agreed to be a part of the baby's life and to help with anything she needed.

He'd been adjusting well to Fatherhood - renting an apartment for them outside, but near campus, making runs to the market for diapers and baby food and getting up with Vanessa in the middle of the night to help with the baby. I was surprised at how well he handled the situation. Honestly, I thought he'd leave her alone to raise the baby by herself, but I underestimated him. He actually turned out to be a pretty good father.