Chapter 4

3 days later

As I apply my makeup, I get flashbacks to the nightmare. Running so hard through a strange, stagnant, stale landscape, running until I almost fainted, fell down and threw up.

The ground was shaking and trembling with the pounding footsteps behind me, a heavy running beast was chasing after me. I couldn't escape.

But as I fell, I heard magic and curses, satanic words whispered over me, from all around, indistinguishable.

I believe I fell asleep.

But I also felt myself enter another dream, as if I was sleep walking back to my new apartment in Dire Wolf City.

I also reflected on the first horrific nightmare of the week – being hunted by a fugitive and decapitated.

So many brutish nightmares. They felt too real at first, but now they feel too abstract to be real memories.

The entire week felt extremely screwed.

I put it down to pure anxiety, a mini mental break down from the stress of moving to another city. I never had anxiety issues in my past, but that didn't mean it couldn't become a problem over time, right? Especially since I tended to overwork myself.

So, yup, it was simple. What happened to me was just a once in a lifetime mental freak out.

That's how I reconcile it.

When I'm ready, I take a taxi to the DWC Police Executive Ball.

It was time to meet up with my boss – and my date for the night.

****

"Hey, you. You took a lot of sick leave for a job you just started; the demon made you sick?" Jason greets me like that, waiting for me outside the doors to the ballroom where a crowd had gathered. I just smile in response and Jason keeps talking, "I'm relieved, to be perfectly honest with you, Srebrenka," Jason breathes a loud and exaggerated sigh of relief, "They must be quite disgusting. You look beautiful."

I really wish Jason didn't start with the demon. I had no idea what he was talking about. My memories were too fuzzy.

"Thank you," I do not comment on my new position. I just wasn't present for it, I had been comatose in the back of my hijacked brain on the first two days with the beast in chains, "I have always despised the concept of demons, they should be exterminated," I can't help murmuring that, however, wanting to save some face.

"That's certainly a change in tone from our first discussion about the Lycan..." Jason furrows his brows as he walks us into the DWC Police Executive Ball, "Although you did tell me once that you immerse yourself in your work completely... just like me..." Jason quickly puts his hand on the small of my back and I smile politely but inside I'm a little squeamish.

I was a little rusty on the dating scene, and tended to over analyse any kind of flirting. Instead of enjoying the hand on my back, I can't help but wonder if Jason is exerting some kind of authority over me. Probably not. Probably... not... but, I was highly neurotic and couldn't help assuming the worst in mankind.

Afterall, that was my speciality. Locking away the worst of us.

Jason and I sit with other executives, and I immerse myself in getting to know about all their jobs, their roles, their biggest successes, and biggest failures in the police force of Dire Wolf City.

Eventually the conversation turns toward my new position. I had one goal – to remain stoic and passive. Afterall, it was only week 1.

"So, Srebrenka... Jason emailed all of us with a preliminary report, about your attempt to communicate to the demon... we are a little curious, did you... copulate with it?" Natasha asks me from across the table. She is curious, her question invasive but her tone is neutral enough.