Chapter 26 - The Day after

May 25, 1996

The afternoon was one of those warm golden affairs, that had bits of effervescent cottonwood floating on the breeze. These ephemeral stars landed in your hair or on your clothes like fairy dust. They reflected against a sky so clear and blue the only term I could assign it was electric. And the sun so bright it sparked against the cotton fluff making my eyes water with glare and sentiment.

The ceremony was done, I had officially graduated from high school. Miko had snapped a whole roll of film, with his little Vivitar, while I had smiled so hard my face hurt. I had been hugging and congratulating all of my classmates, friends and family.

We were saying our final goodbyes before dad, Hannah and I started our week long road trip, back to the Lakehouse. Gathered near the parking lot that connected the outdoor amphitheater with the grassy square in front of the brick facade of the school, I was awaiting Marcie and Richard's farewell. It was nice to have them in attendance. Marcie was pleasant so far and looked proud of me, it was a nice feeling.

Tom shook Miko's hand heartily, while the older man clapped him in a hug and offered some private conversation whispered in his ear.

Hannah and Tom had stayed the night with Miko and Ginny and I knew they were going to be friends by today.

With the Januszewski's hospitality mixed with my dad's history and what they knew about me, I was doomed, and I knew my dad had been adopted into the clan. I'm sure baby pictures were probably shared, and I speculated Ginny had stories of her own that everyone was bound to hear.

I would miss them terribly when I left, even the embarrassment factor.

Ginny was glowing with a new set of Amethyst crystal drop earrings and a matching bracelet. My robe and gold tassels flapped around my shins, as I squinted at the jewelry and gave her a hug beyond anything I could ever hope to have given before.

"Hannah made these for you?" I touched one of the purple crystals hanging from her ear.

"They're gorgeous aren't they? I'm so thankful. What a gift that woman is. She loves your tato so much. He is a lucky man, like my Miko."

We both laughed and I kissed her on the cheek. She looked at me tenderly, "Janey, you have everything you need to do big things." She held my face. "Don't let sorrow and fear blind you to your own brightness anymore, okay? The past is gone, today is now and tomorrow is hope. Peter is not the only boy in the world, but I think he may one day learn to live again, even if he is an idiot for breaking your heart."

She pushed my hair behind my ear, and caressed my cheek. "I love you like my own child, kochanie. You call me soon." I nodded, not trusting my voice.

She shuffled me down the line of people to Miko, who actually initiated the hug this time. He stood like he was awaiting that football again, but then he reached for me, and swept me up in a truly unrecognizable show of affection. After he released, he held me by the shoulders and cocked his head with a sparkle.

"Who am I going to pick up from the airport now? I should just sell my car, yeah? Maybe go into modeling, what do you think Janey?" Miko flipped his squash cap off, and rubbed his shiny head. Turning his profile to me with puffed chest and sucked in gut. He grinned at his wife, and waggled one bushy eyebrow.

"You think girls will like what I have to offer? Maybe underwear model, yeah? I think tattoos are popular now, right?"  He patted his belly, flexed a bicep, turned and wiggled his non-existent butt just a little.

I choked on my laughter and nodded vigorously. "Do it Miko...don't let Ginny tell you otherwise....she's just jealous."

Ginny yelled from a few people away, "Janey, you be quiet. If Miko does underwear modeling, I won't be able to fit his big fat head through the door to the house."