Chapter 3 - The Gift

Janey fiddled with the box. She couldn't open it. The tree carving had a lever tucked in the side, and there were two slides that loosened when the lever was pulled. She could see that there had to be a way to open it, but she couldn't figure it out.

Yet.

She couldn't figure it out yet, she told herself.

Glancing at the little digital clock on her nightstand, the glowing numbers showed that it was way too late for little girls to be awake, but much too early to get up. She sighed, switched off her bedside lamp, and put the box in her nightstand drawer.

Her head was full, and that made it hard to sleep. So she went through the past week, trying to empty her mind and relax.

The drunk had been quiet and subdued for the time following the "event." Janey had started referring to it like that, whenever she thought about what happened. When he was regretful and sad it made her stomach ache, she hated to see him that way.

When she came home that evening, Marcie had dinner waiting. She had made Janey's favorite, spaghetti with garlic bread and a cucumber salad. It was already in two plates waiting on the table. When she came in the back door, Marcie reached out to her and held her face, inspecting the swollen cheek and red print that was starting to bruise.

No words were spoken but Marcie clutched her daughter to her chest while Janey let a few more tears seep out. She pulled out of her mother's arms and looked up at her face that had been made up so artfully, she could barely see the shadow around her cheekbone and eye. She touched her face gently, and watched Marcie flinch in response.

Marcie smiled sadly. "He didn't mean it, did he Janey-bug?" It almost came out as a question. 

Janey, shook her head.  Dad didn't mean to be what he had become, and even if he did, she loved him anyway. She knew she had to keep her family together and the only way to do that was hide what he was.

She and her mother were a united front at least on that one thing. They sat and ate their dinner together. Somewhat strained, and sad, but Marcie reached over held Janey's hand, or ran her fingers down her cheek a few times. She melted under the affection, at least she knew her mother loved her... even if she had trouble showing it sometimes.

The week that followed was quiet. She could hear Tom pleading with Marcie not to leave him in the evening in their room. She could hear his quiet sobs, and her sharp whispers.  She heard him promise to go to church, and therapy. And Marcie's tone deflate with her agreement of another chance.

She had heard this before, but maybe this time...maybe it would happen.

Tom never exactly apologized to Janey, but he did offer a hug and cup her face the next day. He looked like he wanted to say something, but the words got choked up and never came out. He stayed away from her most of the time, and even though she saw beer cans, the drunk was quiet.

It was a welcome relief.

Janey had invited both sets of neighbor girls over for a swim party the next weekend after her mother inspected her face and nodded approvingly. The mark had faded and so had Marcie's. No one would suspect anything.

The afternoon was filled with screeching small bodies, in striped swimsuits, covered in lake mud, sun-screen and popsicle stains. She had so much fun.

Grinning afterward she hugged both her mom and dad who had been tactfully watching but not intrusive. They both had been on their best behavior around the parents of the other girls present.
The kids were fun, and Janey was happy and tired after her day playing. But in her heart she was a quiet girl, and the perpetual worry about Tom and Marcie was exhausting.