"In the weirdest mood." Miles stated. "You have just tipped the entire hierarchy of the school, you know that right."

"It is weird to feel oddly proud about that?"

"Not really." Gwen smiled. "So are you hurt? He got a good punch in earlier."

"I'm fine." Lance decided. "Felt like he took the air out my lungs but I'm alright now."

"Hey McClain!"

Lance glanced to his side to see Flash approaching.

He looked almost anxious.

"Hey Flash." Lance nodded.

"Thanks, you know for um... For taking the fall I guess." Flash mumbled looking away.

Lance found an easy smile coming to his face as he patted Flash's shoulder. "No problem."

"So," Gwen smiled, "pizza?"

~~~

"I still can't believe you got away scot-free." Gwen admitted with a laugh.

Lance chuckled. It had been a surprise himself when there had been nothing further done. Perhaps Maria had worked her SHIELD magic.

Either way Lance knew it wasn't anything that he himself had done.

"I've enjoyed this, it's been a while since I've gone out and done something with a friend." Gwen continued.

"Not even with Miles?"

"Not really, we both have busy lives and... Yeah it's complicated."

Lance nodded.

Together they walked through the dark streets on New York.

Lance hadn't even considered how dangers this route was until he felt a growl in the back of his mind.

Something bad was going to happen.

A man pushed away from the alleyway wall blocking the exit onto the main street.

Lance didn't need to glance back to know a man was blocking the other exit.

"Pretty late for you young'ns to be out, isn't it?" The man asked tilting his head.

Lance didn't care much for the tone of his voice either.

"Not really." Gwen answered. "It's not even 11 yet."

The man chuckled and as he moved Lance's eyes snapped onto to object in his hand. He lifted it as it clicked.

A loaded gun.

"Empty your pockets." The man ordered, adjusting his grip on his gun.

Lance held eye contact as he slowly pulled his hands from his pockets. "We haven't got anything worth stealing."

"I'll be the judge if that." The man from behind explained as he grabbed the back of Lance's shirt. "Hold still or the girl gets shot."

Lance glared at the floor letting the guy go through his pockets. Gwen was silent next to him.

Then when Lance thought the torment was over the guy pulled his phone out.

"Whoa, what is this?" He asked lifting it up. "Looks too high tech to be anything but expensive."

"Give that back." Lance said firmly hands balling into fists.

"Kid, I'm the one with a gun." The other guy reminded aiming at him again. "You really want me to leave your guts all over the street."

Gwen caught his arm. "Let's just go."

"We didn't say you could leave." The other guy smirked as he pocketed Lance's phone. "We've got plans for you two."

The man's gaze swept predatory up and down Gwen before he smirked.

Lance stepped in front of her his eyes narrowing. "You're going to let us go."

"You know you're really annoying, shoot him."

The shot flew between them and Lance only then realised that someone had pulled him out the way of a moving bullet.

That didn't just happen.

He lived with a group of superheros, he knew what wasn't normal.

His gaze snapped to see a web stuck on his back going off into the shadows.

A Spider had saved him?

"Stay here." Ghost-spider ordered pressing him against the wall before she kicked one of the guys in the gut.

The other drew his gun and aimed at her while she fought the not so chatty guy for his gun.

Lance kicked up a trashcan lid and threw it. It hit the guy in the side of the head bringing all attention back to him.

Lance's eyes narrowed when a web hit the guy in the face. Spiderman then landed tugging the man towards him knocking him out with a single punch.

The other guy was on the floor with Ghost-spider standing over him.

"You know you and your friend need to pick different routes home." Spiderman said as he crossed his arms looking at Lance over his shoulder.

"Your friend is safe you don't need to worry." Ghost-spider said turning to him.

"I'm not worried Gwen." Lance said casually as he straightened his jacket. "Hey Miles."