Chapter 13: Friendship

Start from the beginning

"Come on!" George said. "Party in the Gryffindor common room, now!"

"You're welcome to join, Raven!" Fred said.

It felt as though they had already won the Quidditch Cup. The party went on all day and into the night. Fred and George disappeared for a couple of hours and returned with armfuls of bottles of butterbeer, pumpkin fizz, and several bags full of Honeydukes sweets.

"How did you do that?" Angelina squealed.

"With a little help from Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs." Fred whispered in to Harry and I. We gave him a smirk. Before it got too late, I said my goodbyes, and went back to my dorm to sleep.

I was at breakfast the next morning and being told by Ron, what had happened last night. Apparently, Sirius Black had infiltrated the Gryffindor common room, because Neville left notes lying around with the passwords on them.

"I was asleep, and I heard this ripping noise, and I thought it was in my dram, you know" Ron began. "But then there was this draft... I woke up and one side of the hanging on my bed had been pulled down... I rolled over... and I saw him standing over me... like a skeleton, with loads of filthy hair holding this great long knife, must've been twelve inches... and he looked at me, and I looked at him, and then I yelled, and he scampered."

"Wait." I said. "If he got into your dorm, then why did he go after you and not Harry? Or silenced you before you screamed? He clearly had no problem killing innocents before."

"He must've known he'd have a job getting back out of the castle once you'd yelled and woken people up." Harry said thoughtfully. "He'd've had to kill the whole House to get back through the portrait hole... then he would've met the teachers."

"What if he tries for the Ravenclaw common room next?" Ron said. "He's supposedly after you as well, Raven."

"I'd say he's probably too dumb to solve the riddle to get in, but I wouldn't put it past me." I said. "I'll have Uri wake me if he decides to show up."

Professor McGonagall had banned Neville from Hogsmeade visits, given him a detention, and forbidden anyone to give him the password into the tower. None of these punishments, however, came close to matching the one his grandmother had in store for him. Two days after Black's break-in, she sent him the worst thing a student could receive over breakfast-a Howler.

"Run for it, Neville." Ron said, remembering his from last year. Neville didn't need telling twice. He seized the envelope, and holding it before him like a bomb, sprinted out of the hall, while the Slytherin table exploded with laughter at the sight of him. We heard the Howler go off in the entrance hall-Neville's grandmother's voice, magically magnified to a hundred times its usual volume, shrieking about how he had brought shame to the whole family.

"Ouch! Oh-thanks, Hedwig." Harry said, as Hedwig had been nipping him in the wrist to get his attention. He took a note and read it aloud.

Dear Harry, Ron, and Raven

How about having tea with me this afternoon around six?

I'll come and collect you from the castle.

WAIT FOR ME IN THE ENTRANCE HALL;

YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED OUT ON YOUR OWN.

Cheers,

Hagrid

"He probably wants to hear all about Black!" Ron said.

At six o'clock that afternoon, I met up with Harry and Ron at the entrance hall. "All right, Hagrid!" Ron said. "S'pose you want to hear about Saturday night, do you?"