21.

I shakily took my position at the far end of the dinner table. I hadn't really known where to sit, but I figured it wouldn't be anywhere near the important figures of the household. "Hi all" Lorenzo said abruptly after clinking his glass. "I just want to thank you all for being here tonight. I know a Tuesday isn't usually family dinner night, but as Sofia Russo has now officially joined us I wanted to make tonight special for her" Lorenzo smiled warmly at me. "Thank you for your hospitality" I said nodding to him as he sat at the head of the table. "To Sofia" he began. "May her future in this family be long and beneficial to us all" he continued as everyone raised a glass to me as I shifted uncomfortably.

Luckily all eyes were diverted off me when the first course flew through the doors. Everyone oooing and ahhhing at the spectacle the chef had prepared. "You like seafood dear" an older woman asked besides me. "I don't mind it" I smiled as a langoustine was served onto my plate. "Good job, Lorenzo likes to eat it all the bloody time" she smirked as I relaxed slightly at her calm energy. "How do you know the family" I asked her after a few further superficial conversations. "I am the family darling. Lucia marchetti. Wonderful to meet you, again" she said smoothly as I nodded. "You knew me from my childhood" I asked her as she nodded. "It's nice to meet you properly this time" I said slightly awkwardly as she beamed at me. Who was she? Lorenzo's wife? But then why would she be seated all the way down here? "Bet you don't even remember who I am" she said smugly as i nodded tentatively. "I'm his youngest sibling. Baby Marchetti" she grinned at me as I nodded in understanding. "So you've lived here your whole life" I asked trying to keep the conversation going so I wasn't left in an awkward silence. "Indeed I have. All 38 years" she sighed dramatically. "Crikey" I said before covering my mouth with my hands. My outburst coming after knowing her age compared to Lorenzo who is what? 65? "Don't worry dear. Everyone knows I was the accident. Unfortunately I'm a bit of a bastard child...hence my brothers persistent disregard for me, and my youthful looks" she choked positively despite the sour meaning. Before I could respond a commotion at the other end of the table had my ears pricking up.

"You'll get used to them two" Lucia smirked besides me as I watched the verbal altercation between Louisa and Luca. "I'm not sure I'll ever get used to the people in this place" I said dejectedly as I thought about Romero. "Give it time. I used to hate being here too, now...it's got it's perks" she smiled brightly at me. "Oh yeah?" I queried hoping she'd give me some insight. "Mhmm. Chef makes the best profiteroles. He'll also whip you up pudding when you roll your drunken ass in at 3am" she said making me smile, they did sound like perks, all be it small ones.

"Lucia I do hope you're not corrupting our new guest" Lorenzo said interrupting us as my smile faltered. "Wouldn't dream of it brother. In any case I think she's corrupted enough as it is don't you" Lucia said daringly as I bit my lip to surprise a smile. "Shock horror you're clinging to her, you'd befriend anything regardless if it had betrayed us or not" Louisa said bluntly as the table sat in silence watching the events unfold. "I don't see how I betrayed you? Your family? Not after the things I've seen" I said firmly as she looked at me daringly. "And what have you seen dear" Lorenzo said almost amused. "She won't tell you dad, she'd much rather cover up the Di Rossi rat" she taunted as I smirked. "Looked in the mirror recently" I chimed as she stood up and threw her fork in my direction. Dodging it, it clattered with the wall behind me.
"Don't you dare accuse me of being a fucking spy." She seethed. "I'm not accusing you of being a spy. I'm accusing you of working with the Di Rossi" I smirked at her as anger seeped over her features. "Don't you dare lie" Lorenzo said firmly in my direction. "Are you actually shitting me. You think I'm lying. I'm the only one here whose seen who walks around over there and when I tell you who, you assume I'm lying" I spat annoyed. "Sofia" luca looked at me warningly. "Don't Sofia me, you have no right to even talk to me after the conversation you were having with daddy dearest earlier" I roared as Lucia put a hand gently on my shoulder.
Shrugging it off he looked at me pained. "Shall we add listening in to private conversations to all the reasons we should kill her" Louisa fumed turning to her father. "I think everyone in the south corridor could hear you, you almost shouted the fact you wanted me raped from the rooftops" I said as everyone paled. "So you can all stop tip toeing. I know why you wanted me here, and it had fuck all to do with loyalty, considering I just told you she's a double agent and you didn't even blink an eye." I said firmly as I pointed at Louisa. "So new deal, I will sleep with you Luca. Once a day and I'll give you your heir and once I have, I'm leaving. When you get your heir I get my freedom" I said firmly as Lorenzo looked at me firmly. "All other negotiations stand" I said as I looked at him. "So you won't wait till his birthday" he asked as I shook my head. "He can start when he's ready." I said firmly as Louisa scoffed. "We're really going to let the double crossing bitch mother our heir." She spat annoyed. "I won't mother it. I'll birth it. Then leave. Not a day later" I said firmly as Luca looked at me almost torn. "What if you change your mind" he asked softly. "I won't, my freedom matters too much" I said simply as he sighed. "I meant about leaving" he furrowed a brow. "And stay in this sanctimony? No thanks." I spat sarcastically as he nodded. "Deal" Lorenzo answered for him. "I'll let you two choose when you begin." He continued as I nodded whilst Luca looked down at his plate sadly. "Anyone would think you were sad I said I'd sleep with you. Earlier you wanted to rape me, so it can't be the thought of sleeping with me. Is it because I'm now obliging" I said slyly as he continued looking at his plate. "Drop it" Lucia said beside me as I turned to look at her outraged. "Honestly. Drop it" she said warningly, as I for once, did as I was told and forked a mouth full of food into my mouth and looked down viciously. My button pushing paused momentarily.
"Dad, what if she leaves with the baby" Louisa chimed. "Then you can put a bullet through my skull personally." I smiled spitefully. "I won't be taking the child with me. It'll be Lucas. Not mine" I said with clarity to Lorenzo as he nodded. "I trust her word" he said with finality. "On this, not on his corrupt daughter" I said as I rolled my eyes slightly. "I'll deal with her later. I don't like to be told how to do my job Sofia. I am the boss here, you'd do well to remember that" he said calmly as I nodded 'don't think you'll let me forget it' I mused in my own head.
The rest of dinner was eaten in virtual silence. Small talk was made occasionally and Mary kept glancing at me worriedly. I almost felt betrayed by her, she'd let me believe they wanted my loyalty when she clearly knew the ulterior motive. As the members of the family filed out, all of them seemingly annoyed with one another I glanced at Lucia. "You need to learn when enough is enough Sofia. Otherwise you'll get burnt. Badly" she said worriedly. "I know you've fended for yourself for a while, and I get you feel the need to stick up for yourself, but doing that may get you hurt" she said worriedly. "So long as I get my freedom I don't care what pain they inflict on me" I said defiantly. "And that's exactly the attitude that will get you killed around here. Please, if you only listen to me on one thing, it's this. Don't push Lorenzo's buttons, don't defy him. You won't win" she said deflated. "You know that for a fact" I interpreted. "First hand" she nodded sorrowfully as she gulped slightly.
"My husband often tried to defy my brother, he felt I should be respected more. Loved more. Lorenzo didn't like it and as a result I buried him two years ago" Lucia said depressively. "He killed his brother in law" I gawfed. "He will kill anyone who defies him Sofia. Even his own flesh and blood. You should know that given your history. You wouldn't even be an afterthought. So just tread carefully with him please" she sighed worriedly. "Ok" I gave in. "And I'm so sorry about your husband" I sighed feeling awful for her. "Don't be sorry, it wasn't your fault. Just don't repeat his mistakes. He never did listen to my protests" she said glumly as I nodded in understanding. My confusion for who Lorenzo was, growing by the second. So eager to make an heir, but so quick to kill his brother in law.
It just didn't add up. "If you ever need advice, I'm usually in the gardens" she offered me softly as she stood from her seat and walked out with heavy shoulders and a burdened heart. I knew what it was like to loose someone important, and I didn't want to think of it ever happening again. I certainly didn't want to think about the pain Alessia would feel if I did pass.
Speaking of which, I felt an urge to go and stitch. I didn't want to go back to my room and wallow in self pity. I knew what I'd agreed to, and I knew I wouldn't be able to hide in the studio forever, but it felt like the distraction I needed tonight.
Maybe this would be my last night before he impregnated me. Maybe it was my last night of celibacy. Maybe. But not definitely. I wouldn't put it passed him to sneak into my room and take me whilst I'm asleep just because he can. Because that's what men do. They take. Take take take. And then they wonder why women are so broken at the end of it.
Except this time I was hoping to be strong. I knew he would need to sleep with him. I knew he required an heir. If I can stay logical and not get attached then maybe, just maybe I wouldn't be the broken damsel in distress at the end of all this. I'd be able to walk away with my head held high, needle and thread on one hand and designer handbag in the other. I'd be strong, I had to be. Because If I fell, I'd never get back up again.