Chapter 10: Secrets and Siblings

~Scott~

"We have to go. Now." Gemini said, standing up with me.

"Gem you don't seriously believe—" Fwhip started, also getting to his feet along with Pearl, Katherine, and Shrub.

"Better to be safe than sorry. Scott, you know the way? We'll take Amber—"

"Who?" I asked, my mind racing a mile a minute with thoughts. What if he had already gotten to her? Who knows what he might have done...

"My dragon." Gemini clarified. "It's not far is it?"

"No, it's not." I answered, stepping out and around the table.

"Great. The rest of you will stay back," Gemini ordered, pushing the brim of her hat up, out of her eyes. "We'll be back soon."

Fwhip spluttered a few more complaints about the plan before he gave up, sitting back down in defeat.

I hadn't noticed Gemini stride from the room for several seconds before I realized I was supposed to be following, and hurried after her, nearly tripping over my own feet.

"Good luck!" Shrub's small, shrill voice called after us as we slipped back into the rocky passage, this time running up the stairs towards the surface.

"How will we get there?" I asked Gemini as we ascended into darkness, having already forgotten the plan in my rush to calm my anxiety before panic took its place. There was a muttered rune, and a flash of light flickering through the shadows for a moment before the wizard was holding a handful of fire again.

"The dragon. Like I said." Gemini repeated through short exhales as we climbed. "Don't worry, it's not hard, you'll learn quick." She added at my silence.

"Mm. Sure." I replied, incredibly unconfident in my ability to do so.

Soon we were back out on the streets, jogging towards the palace where 'Amber' still was, curled up against the cobbled street next to Fwhip's aircraft. Gemini made a beeline towards them, the dragon's bright green eyes peeling open after a moment, nose twitching as it became alert.

A sharp whistle left Gemini's lips as we approached, and the dragon immediately got to their feet, crouching down so that the wizard could swing herself into the saddle. I stood awkwardly as she slid her staff into a crook of the saddle to hold it in place.

She glanced down at me expectantly as I remained in place, staring at the excess saddle behind Gemini where I supposed I would be sitting.

"Well? Are you coming? We have no time to waste." She pressed, raising an eyebrow the slightest.

"Right- yes—" I replied, clumsily fitting my foot into the stirrup to pull myself up behind her. I wobbled, my wings fluffing out from behind me to keep me balanced as I tried to get comfortable without invading Gemini's space in front of me.

"I suggest you hold on." Gemini said after a moment, her hands wrapping even more tightly around the reigns.

"Onto what??" I asked, looking around from something to grip.

"Me." She stated simply in answer, glancing over her shoulder.

I blinked, for a moment, confused about what she meant by that before it hit me. I glanced down at her torso. "Oh- no- I'll just- fall off and hit the street instead thank you—"

Gemini's expression turned into a glare. "Fine then. Suit yourself." Only after she had tugged on the reigns, and we had rocketed into the air had I realized that I had offended her. And that this was her payback.