xxxvii.

xxxvii. exit wounds
( season five, episode twenty-one )

AFTER the reveal from the last case, Lyra was worried she would be treated different. Ostracized from the team. At the very least, it would take time for them to trust her again. So, she invited Scott over for the day to take her mind off it all. They were in the kitchen, around the island, having their first drink of the night.

"At least you got to show off," Scott commented after Lyra explained what had happened, how her team found out she was a mutant. Lyra slapped his shoulder. "Ow! What?"

"That's not the point," Lyra signed critically. "I'm fucked. They're never going to trust me again."

"Well, if they don't, just quit. Be an X-Men again - I'll be leading the team one day, you know - get on TV, and they'll see they made a mistake," Scott said, shrugging.

Lyra gave him a look, an eyebrow raised. "Best case scenario is I quit a job I love to maybe get on TV?"

"We'll make a better plan later. The point is you're a badass, and you don't need them if they don't want you."

Lyra shook her head with a smile. A smile that dropped from her face when her phone vibrated with a text from Hotch, informing her they had a case. "Speaking of, I have to go," she signed. She went to grab her keys that were on the counter, but Scott beat her to it, placing his hands over them before she could grab them.

"I'll drive you," he said.

"How will I-"

"And then I'll get Ororo to come pick you up, and you two can do whatever it is lesbians do."

Lyra rolled her eyes. "Fine. Only because I like seeing Ororo."

Scott grinned. As they walked down to where he had parked, he decided to ask about the dog tags hanging around her neck. "What's up with those?" he inquired.

"Logan gave them to me."

"And you wear them?"

"Logan's nice, so yes."

"He likes my girlfriend."

"So does everyone else."

"He's still a dick."

"Only to you."

Scott rolled his eyes and let it go. They got on his motorcycle. He drove her to the office, where, just outside, Prentiss, JJ and Garcia were arriving as well.

"Have a good day at work, sweetheart!" Scott called out to his best friend as she was leaving, throwing out the pet name just to annoy her.

Lyra just threw up her middle finger, grinning back at him.

"Is that your boyfriend?" Garcia immediately asked, excited for some drama as if none of the previous events had happened.

"No, ew," Lyra signed. "That's Scott."

"Childhood New York friend Scott?" Prentiss guessed. Lyra nodded in confirmation. "You sure he's not your boyfriend?"

"He's cute," Garcia inputted.

"Considering he's dating my friend Jean, I can confidently say he is not my boyfriend," Lyra signed. And she was into women, she did not say. "Aren't you guys supposed to be mad at me?"

JJ shrugged as the women got into the elevator to go up to their floor. "I thought about it and decided I can't hold it against you," she said, giving Lyra a small smile.