iv.

iv. about face
( season three, episode six )

HALLOWEEN had always been a secret interest of Lyra's. Not because of the dressing up, not because of any of the traditions that surrounded it, but rather because growing up, when she was at Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters, she saw the excitement on everyone's faces as they got to dress up. Pretend that, just for one day, they were not mutants. Pretend they were someone else when they felt uncomfortable in their own bodies.

Lyra was never one to dress up, not really. Nothing besides a pair of cat ears. Reid was much more into Halloween and the whole dressing up thing. So much was clear when he came into work with a Frankenstein's monster mask on, handing out candy to anyone he passed.

Lyra glanced up from her paperwork to see him walking up behind Morgan, groaning. "I'm going to eat you!" he exclaimed. Morgan turned and jumped. Prentiss started laughing and Lyra hid a smile behind her hand.

"Reid!" Morgan complained, trying to calm his racing heart.

"Happy All Hallow's Eve, folks," Reid said happily, taking the mask off. "To paraphrase from Celtic mythology, tomorrow night, all order is suspended, and the barriers between the natural and the supernatural are temporarily removed." He took out a head prop and threw it at Prentiss.

"See, that right there is why Halloween creeps me out," Morgan said.

"You're scared of Halloween?" Reid asked.

"I didn't say scared, I said creeped out. There's a difference there, youngster, you should look it up."

"What creeps you out about it?" Prentiss inquired.

"I don't know, people wearing masks. I don't like folks in disguises," Morgan responded.

"That's the best thing about Halloween," Reid said. "You can be anyone you want to be."

"That's why I like Halloween, too," Lyra signed, nodding in agreement.

"I'm pretty good just being me," Morgan said.

"Yeah, why is it that neither of those point of views surprise me?" Prentiss asked rhetorically. "Except maybe yours, Lehnsherr. Care to share why with the class?"

Lyra tilted her head, pretending to think about it. "How about no?" Letting everyone know she was soft? It was not happening.

"You know what, though?" Morgan said. "On the flip side, it does provide a pretty good reason to cozy up with a scary flick, and a little Halloween honey." He winked and clicked his teeth.

"Ew, Halloween honey? Now I'm creeped out," Prentiss said.

"Whore," Lyra signed, all in good spirit. Prentiss started laughing at that without needing a translation. "Seriously, of all words? That's the one you know?"

"What? What'd she say?" Morgan asked, looking between Reid and Prentiss.

"She called you a whore," Prentiss said, giggling.

"Okay, wow, uncalled for Lehnsherr."

"I'm not wrong," Lyra signed, an eyebrow raised and a small smirk on her face.

"Oh, guys, he's here," Reid said quietly, gesturing with his head. Everyone turned to look to see the new guy following Strauss up to Hotch's office.

"Stop staring, idiots," Lyra chastised. She looked at them and saw none of them even looking at her. She sighed. "And they aren't even looking."