Chapter 5

*Stephanie POV*
"You guys have funny names", I frowned. Then realised. "Wait no that Came out wrong!!" Ghastly just laughed and nodded. "Yeah, we know" he smiled" In this dimension we take on a chosen name so people can't track is down, we also have a true name which only a few people know theirs and it usually doesn't turn out well.." He frowned. "Sooo...I can take a chosen name??" I questioned." As soon as you can do magic, I don't see why not" skul replied. "If I can't do magic...will you guys leave me..??" I asked,my voice braking. Before Ghastly said anything skulduggery already replied with "of course not!" I sighed in relief ,but frowned when I saw the look that ghastly was giving skulduggery. He saw me looking and he looked uncomfortable. I let it go, thinking he didn't like me. I don't blame him I thought.
After sitting in silence for 5m I decided to break the ice. "Ghastly,what do you do for a living?" I asked. He smiled"I am actually a tailor....well...I was before I became an elder.." He trailed off. "That is so cool!!" I said. "Skul didn't you say you were a detective?" I questioned. He just nodded. Ghastly nudged him and he jumped in surprise. "Ahh, yes" he said. "According to everyone else I am infact amazing" he gloated. I rolled my eyes playfully. "Steph, how did you take it that skul was literally a skeleton?" Ghastly mused. Before I could answer skulduggery answered for me. "She wasn't even fazed!" He whined. Ghastly laughed and I watched on, amused. " how did you become a skeleton?" I asked. The air suddenly went tense and I realised my mistake. "It's okay, you don't have to talk about it" I smiled reassuringly. "Nah it's okay" skul said. "You see, back a lonnngggg time ago, there was a war between Mevolent and us Good guys. Me and ghastly were in a group called the dead men. It's another long story of how we got that name so I'll tell you another time. Anyway one of mevolents sidekicks, decided that they'd capture my family, and then capture me. They were tortured and killed infront of me. And then I was killed." He paused as he let it sink in. "Serpine, his name is. He left my bones in a lake and the next thing I know I'm walking up to our camp and scaring the living daylight a out of people." He gave a small laugh. "I'm.....sorry.." I whispered. "Nonsense, I get asked a lot anyway" he replied. We pulled onto a dreary looking road called Cemetery Rd and parked outside the first house. Just from seeing it in the car I could tell it was basically a mansion. "Wow..." I said, stunned. Ghastly laughed. We got out and skul led me to the front door. As soon as we entered the house, I was hit with warmth. I sighed in relief and sat down on the couch. "Unfortunately, I have to get back to elder stuff, but it was a pleasure meeting you Stephanie" ghastly said, extending a hand. I surprised him by pulling him in for a hug. He was shocked for a minute but slowly wrapped his arms around me. I felt safe with him and Skul. We pulled apart and he left. Then I collapsed as sobs wracked my body. "Stephanie!" Skul yelled, as he caught me just in time. "What happened?! Are you ok?!" He asked, holding me tight. " why.....do you ..g..uys....care...so...much...th...is..is...the... Nicest anyone's.....ever Been...to me.." I whispered. "Oh Stephanie! Why wouldn't we be nice to you hm?! Your a kind, beautiful girl who-" "STOP....please.." I yelled, my voice breaking. He just nodded and held me tighter. "You can sleep in my room tonight but tomorrow we'll sought out your room." He said softly. I just nodded already half asleep, as he carried me to his room.