Chapter Thirty-four: The Return of the Jerk.

Start from the beginning

There was even a crowd already formed around someone or something.

"If you go up to him right now, I bet you could also get a free ticket to Club Frisbee." A girl said showing off her ticket to a male friend.

"Club Frisbee?" Annie whispered incredulously. "That one club we've been saving up for since forever? And some guy is handing out free tickets?!"

"...he's so kind and caring, he loves whales or so I heard, that's why he's a huge supporter of the save the whales program..."

"He's super cute too, I want to take a picture with him now so I can say I know someone famous later in the future!"

People were really laying it on thick about this guy's awesomeness and when we pushed our way to the front of the crowd, we couldn't be more disappointed.

"Hale?!" Susan and Annie chorused while I stared in surprise.

He was back.

How come? And without warning. That meant Franca was back too. Oh Lord.

"Let's get out of here." I immediately said, tugging on Annie's coat sleeve while keeping a weary eye on Hale Frances.

He looked great, from his newly highlighted hair to the shiny shoes he was wearing and to the brand new car he was leaning on as he spoke to a group of guys. Even the black eye I gave him was gone.

My heart dropped to the pit of my stomach when he looked over and caught my eye.
I had the vague sensation of falling from a height all over again.

"Guys let's go." I said, a bit more urgently, blinking and shaking my head slightly. Now the air seemed to press down on me from all sides. Maybe it was just the crowd. Or maybe it was my anger and hate shooting to my brain and making me dizzy.

"There she is everyone, the girl who broke my heart." Hale's voice called suddenly and I froze, my eyes darting up just to see him walk towards me with a wolf like grin. "Violet Adams..."

His hand shot out and I flinched, old reflexes getting the better of me. And the next thing I knew was him grabbing me by my arm to the front of the crowd.

"What are you doing? Stop." I said, trying to pry my injured arm out of his firm grip.

"Aww, come on, you know you missed me." He said, putting a predatory hand on my lower back, that big smile on his face that I wanted to punch off.
"I mean how could she not, right? I basically worshiped her!" He added, this time telling the crowd of fellow students who thought this was a great show.

"Leave me alone, this isn't funny!" I said in protest, but his hands seemed to be all over me and out of the corner of my eye, I spotted Annie and Susan trying to fend off some big guys who were blocking their way.

"I got her flowers, and a car, clothes, I took her to parties..." Hale was saying as I continued to struggle. "And she repaid me by dumping me for someone who doesn't even want her back..."

"Booo!" The crowd jeered and tears stung my eyes.

I tried to break free one more time, this time putting my body weight into it.
"I said let go!"

He did, abruptly, and I went stumbling backwards to the ground, landing hard on my side.
The sound of laughter was so loud it was white noise to my ears.

"Now look what you did to yourself, Violet." Hale chuckled.

"Hale you bloody, spoiled, cockroach!" Annie screamed and swung her satchel at one of the jocks, nearly hitting him right in the face. "Eat chemistry, creep!"