Chapter 8: Humanimal

A year later, Mephiles is six years old now and something was troubling him. He has read so many books and watched so many movies and videos about animals and yet, it got him thinking about his appearance. In the books it said that animals have fur in all sorts of colors, a long/short snout, a tail, pointed/rounded ears, fangs, and four paws with claws. Reading all of that made him take a good look of himself in the mirror and he realized he was an animal and he just couldn't believe it.

All this time, I was trained to hate animals and I was one the whole time? But Jared hates animals, so does that mean he hates me? Mephiles thought to himself. After thinking about it, he decided to confront Jared on the ordeal.

"Jared?" said Mephiles.

"Yes?" said Jared.

"Do you hate me?"

"What? No, I could never hate you. Why would you think that?"

"Because, I'm an animal and you said that you hate animals."

"Oh, Mephiles . . . I'm sorry that you think that, but it's not true. You're not an animal."

"Then, why do I look like one?"

"It's very hard to explain, but you're something called a humanimal."

"A what? What is that?"

"A humanimal is when you look like a human or an animal but have the other one's abilities. For instance, you look like an animal but you have human abilities. Understand?"

"I'm not sure. It's a little bit confusing and I'm not sure what to understand."

"Just understand you're not an animal, got it?"

"Got it."

"And don't worry. You're young and you'll understand when you're older."

After that, there were a lot of things on Mephiles' mind about being a humanimal and he wasn't sure if he quite got it but he didn't worry about it for very long. He went to sleep that night, even though he didn't have the ability to sleep. Unaware what was gonna happen in two years, for he is gonna find out the truth about humans.