15. The royal passersby

Wuxie was hopeful when he asked Kylin to move into the hut.

There was a part that hoped to spend more hours with Kylin. It wasn't something that came over to him overnight. Wuxie has been feeling this lately. He felt the time with Kylin is not enough. He was getting greedy and impatient. But more than that Wuxie wanted Kylin to have a home. He wanted Kylin to feel that he belongs here. Wuxie for sure was acting on impulse but his intentions were honest. But it was futile.

Kylin brutally rejected Wuxie, not even giving him a space to talk. And what hurt him more than the rejection was Kylin calling him a kid. It stuck him like an arrow that pierce into the wild dogs, killing them instantly. But Wuxie was left alive to think it over and over again and feel that stinging pain. That he couldn't sleep at all.

"Why does it hurt so much? it wasn't like I never considered him not agreeing to it." Wuxie whinnied as he lay in his bed. "What was I even expecting."

He wanted to talk to someone. But the only one he could think of was Xiao Hua, who was away. He can never talk to his grandpa too. Wuxie was scared. He was scared he will be taken away from Kylin. Because even if he is young, Wuxie could identify his feelings. It may not be as strong as what Jian's mom has for his father. But from the stories Jian has told him, Wuxie knew it was the same. Wuxie loves Kylin. But his love has many restrictions. He is young. His uncle will never take it seriously and the same goes for Kylin. And most importantly, he is a human. Now the only way before him was to grow up fast so at least one of the constraints can go away.

But unknown to him a dark cloud has started to form on his head.

.

.

.

A month has passed. Wuxie was playing with Jian and other friends when they heard the commotion in the streets. They could hear cheers and drums playing, which they never heard in their village.

They, along with other villagers ran to check the source of the music. It was a rally of some royal armies. There were about twenty armed men who escorted a heavily decorative wagon which undoubtedly carried some high-ranked individual. As they reached the middle of the junction and saw almost every villager present, the wagon came to a stop as well as the men escorting it.

The villagers kept questioning each other, trying to figure out what was happening. But none of them seemed to know a logical answer to it. They were all equally surprised. The village was not under any empire, they never saw any royal people visiting them. It was as if they were forgotten. It has been a blessing for the families who were able to live pleasant life. Because the stories of the people under the empire were not that pleasant at all.

Among the crowd, it was hard for Wuxie and Jian to find a place. So, without any hesitation, they run into the shop right by where the crowd is. There was no one at the reception or inside the shop. So, for them to make it to the attic was easier. But the attic had only a small window that opened to the street and they also had to stuff them in between the materials that were stored in the shop. But to their luck, it was a textile shop. Thus, Wuxie and Jian secured a comfortable place to watch the show.

And putting a full stop to their waiting, a man who wore heavy armoires and a long sword by his waist, stepped forward.

"Who is the head of this village? Come forward." The men shouted in his harsh bold voice, giving chills to each and every one who stood there. Wuxie and Jian also jerked and they held each other in fear.

Lao Wu, who was called by some villagers walked towards the place right then. The villagers, politely moved to either side giving him space to come forward. Two men, who are like a righthand of Lao Wu also stood right behind him, all alerted. No one gathered there had a hope that, whatever the reason these people are here, it can be good.

"I'm the head of the village. May I know who you are?" Lao Wu asked perfectly clouding his nervousness. He also didn't forget to bow, as not to present himself as rude, even if he was the older one. But to his surprise, the army man bowed to him in return before he spoke.

"I'm General Ming. I and my men are escorting the esteemed royal minister on his mission. I have asked for you to ask to let us stay here for the night."

Lao Wu listened to the man attentively. He had no evil intentions; they just need a place to stay for the night. Even though that is what it seems, Lao Wu's heart didn't calm down. But since there was no reason to resist, so he had no choice but to agree.

"It would be an honor for us to host the royal minister for a night. However, we don't have any luxury that can be provided to the minister." Lao Wu said politely.

"No need for any of that." This time the one to answer wasn't the army man.

The front curtain of the wagon was moved and a man who was about 5 feet tall and a bit of heavyweight climbed down. He looked more like a street thug than a royal minister despite his gold and yellow robe and his royal hat. He walked and stood in front of Lao Wu.

"I just need a place to sleep. You can arrange that?"

"Yes, your highness." Lao Wu said politely. Still, the uneasiness didn't go away. It stayed inside him, only to confuse his mind more than he should. No matter how he tried, he couldn't see the noncoincident visit of the royal procession as noncoincident. But what can he do?

As the crowd was dispersed the armed men lead the way to Lao Wu's house with the royal minister in the wagon. Getting down from the attic, Wuxie and Jian were now back on the street. But as they landed, Jian was spotted by his mother. Even though Jian couldn't go with him, Wuxie was so excited to follow the men. After all, they are going to his house, right? But he was pulled back by the old weak arms.

"What is it, grandpa? Let's go home. What if the minister gets angry if he doesn't see the host when he arrives at our home?" Wuxie asked as he tried to make his grandpa hurry with the men.

"I know...I know. I'm going. But you...stay at Jian's for tonight."

"What? Why?"

Even though Wuxie asked for a reason, the next second he realized that maybe grandpa Wu don't want to risk the hospitality by having the naughty boy around. "Ah~ Grandpa... I promise I'll behave. I'm not a kid anymore to not see how important are those people."

"It's not that boy... I don't feel good about this. Something is telling me that they are not someone who just happened to pass by our village and wanted to take shelter here."

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know. Call it an old man's instinct. Even Xiao ge is not here at the moment. I can't help but be worried."

Wuxie felt a chill passing through his entire body as he heard the name that was so dear to him. But now, he felt guilty that the reason his grandpa is worried, the reason Kylin was gone...

It's him.

Here you go... I finally uploaded it.

This is taking so much more time than I imagined. But i wouldn't forget about it nad i wont forget about guys...

Love you all <<<<3