Chapter 3

Shirou glanced at his watch. It was still early - he had stopped off at the market on his way home from school, to pick up some supplies, since his kitchen wasn't stocked for so many guests. But now he had to rush to get back in time for their trip up to Ryuudou.

"Hello, Oni-san. I've been watching you." Shirou froze as he saw the little blond girl step up to him.

"Uhm... Hello, Illyasviel." She didn't appear to be threatening today, so Shirou decided to hear her out. And anyways, the street was almost empty. If she did attack, he was the only one at risk here.

"Oh, you can call me Illya," she smiled, "there is no reason to be so formal."

"You aren't going to attack me, are you?' Shirou asked as he carefully put the grocery bag on the ground and got ready to duck for cover.

"No, not right now." Illya picked up the bag, "Right now I want to get to know you. You're not what I was expecting." She led the way to a playground across the street. She put the groceries down on a bench and walked over to swing. "Come, give me a push."

Shirou complied.

"I really like the swings, but it's so much nicer when somebody else is pushing you. I haven't had anybody to push me since father went away."

"What happened to him?" Shirou asked, making conversation.

Illya swung quietly for several minutes, and Shirou began to suspect that he might have asked an inappropriate question. "I don't know. My... caretaker told me many things, but he was lying." She turned her head to smile at Shirou, "I had a rather sheltered upbringing, but don't assume that I am naive." She said it lightly, but there was something hollow in her eyes.

'Right. Don't lie to Illya,' Shirou nodded carefully. Not that he would anyways. Despite what had happened the other day, she seemed like a nice girl. Maybe she was like Rin, and hid behind a uber-professional facade. Except hers seemed delicate.

"Anyways, that is why I am in Japan, to learn about what happened to my father."

"Who was your father?" Shirou didn't know of any local magi, but he was always willing to help.

"Kiritsugu Emiya."

Shirou missed his next push, letting the swing catch him in the face.

Illya giggled, "you should be more careful, oni-san."

Shirou went back to pushing, "when did father go away?" He asked, stalling for time so that his brain could process what Illya had said.

"After the last Holy Grail war, he left me in that cold drafty castle, and never returned." Her voice held a tone of bitterness and anger.

"I'm sorry." Shirou was quiet for a moment, "Is your castle hard to reach? Father was very sick after the war. He hid it well at first, but something had happened to him back then. I know he made several trips somewhere in the first year that I was living with him, but he always came back looking disappointed, and after that, he was too weak to travel." Shirou wasn't certain how much Illya knew about his relation to her father, but given the 'Oni-san', she must know some. And given how delicate she was, it really was safer to let her ask the questions.

Now it was Illya's turn to look pensive. "I think I would like to get to know more about those years."

"Great. You can come over for dinner. I just bought food for company."

"I did not say I want to meet your friends." Illya jumped off of the swing when it was at it's apex, landing with lady like precision. "I said I want to get to know you." She turned to face Shirou and gestured. Shirou slumped to the ground.