XVI. The Rescue (Part II)

INT. HERMES REC ROOM - SPACE

Vogel worked fast. He poured sugar into a strong glass beaker and drilled a hole in the stopper as Johanssen entered.

"Bomb?" Johanssen asked.

Vogel nodded. "Bomb. In a pure oxygen environment, 16.7 million Joules will be released for every kilogram of sugar used. Eight times more powerful than a stick of dynamite." He poured liquid oxygen into the beaker.

"How do we activate it?"

Vogel stripped electrical wires and threaded them into the stopper. "Can you run this to one of our lighting panels?"

Johanssen grinned.

INT. HERMES - VAL (AIRLOCK 1) - SPACE

Beck, in his spacesuit, entered the Vehicular Airlock as Johanssen was ripping wires out of the lighting panel and threading them into the bomb.

"Make sure you're not still here when this goes off," Johanssen told him.

He took the bomb from her.

They shared a look before she said, "Be careful. Out in space." She smiled. "We'll get them back. You'll see the woman you love soon. Don't tell anyone I said that."

Beck smiled and closed the inner Airlock door behind Johanssen.

INT/EXT. HERMES - VAL (AIRLOCK 1) - SPACE

As the outer door opened revealing space, Beck finished securing the improvised bomb to the inner door and said, "Bomb is set. On my way."

INT. HERMES - FLIGHT DECK - SPACE

As Johanssen racesd back to her post, Martinez worked quickly at his station.

"Guys, I'm running the numbers -- even with optimal VAL blow, we're gonna be off on our angle," Martinez warned.

"What's the new intercept distance?" Lewis asked before calling in an impatient tone, "Johanssen."

"260 meters," Johanssen replied. "Approximate."

" That's too far..." She thought for a moment before racing off the flight deck.

"Commander?" Martinez called.

EXT. HERMES - SPACE

Beck climbed out of Airlock 1 and made his way along the hull of Hermes, using the handholds. He traversed the ship and made his way into Airlock 2.

INT. HERMES - AIRLOCK 2 - SPACE

Lewis was there, fully suited up, waiting for him and she said, "The intercept distance is gonna be too far. I'm going untethered."

"Commander, I can do this-" Beck was cut off.

"It's not a debate, Beck. I'm not risking
another crew member."

Beck saw there was no arguing with her. As much as he wanted to be the one to rescue them, to rescue her, he knew it was better to listen to his commander.

"Johanssen, time to VAL blow?" Lewis asked.

Johannsen said over comms, "15 seconds..."

"We sure know how to cut it close."

INT. HERMES - FLIGHT DECK - SPACE

Vogel rushed into the flight deck.

"10 seconds..." Johanssen said.

"Strap in," Martinez instructed.

They tightened the restraints on their chairs.

Johanssen continued counting down. "5... 4... 3..."