Psych Evaluation

Melina made her way into the evaluation room. As she did so, she passed Chris Beck who was leaving. The two avoided eye contact as they passed each other. As soon as he was no longer in her sights, she turned and looked at Beck, quickly turning away and as soon as she looked away, he turned to her before looking away.

The psychologist smiled and said, "You were chosen specifically for this mission due to your degree in chemistry. How does that make you feel?"

Melina shrugged. "The entire crew was chosen because of their specific skill set. I'm nothing special."

"I beg to differ, Miss Gray."

"Look. Everyone chosen has something to bring. I'm one of a specifically chosen group. We all need to work together for the mission to succeed."

The psychologist smiled and said, "I wish you the best of luck, Dr. Gray."

Melina nodded. "Thank you."

She left the room and found Beck waiting for her.

"Can I help you?" Melina asked.

He shrugged. "Just wanted to check in, see how you were."

"I'm fine. How are you?"

"Good. Um, are you ready for this mission?"

"Yeah. I think so. Are you?"

He nodded. "Yeah, I am. We're gonna kick some martian ass."

"Did you tell that to them?"

He shrugged with a light smirk. "Maybe."

Melina laughed. "Such a tease, Beck."

"Call me Chris."

"All right, Beck." He gave her a teasing look. "Kidding. Call me Melina."

"It's nice to officially meet you, Melina."

"You too, Chris. I'll be seeing you."

"I'm looking forward to it."

As the two walked away in separate directions, both, unbeknownst to the other, had a smile on their faces.