X. Sols 135-154

INT. ROVER - NIGHT

Mark and Melina sat at the keypad and took a moment to compose their words. He began to type.

Vincent said, "The crops are dead..."

INT. NASA - CONFERENCE ROOM - NIGHT

Vincent, Teddy, Annie and a team of others studied the analysis reports.

Vincent continued. "Complete loss of pressure boiled off most of the water. Any bacteria that survived, died in the sub-zero temperatures when exposed to Mars' atmosphere."

"How long do they have?" Annie asked.

"They can still eat the potatoes they have, they just can't grow any more. We estimate they'll give them about 200 sols."

"And rations get them to what? Sol 409?" Teddy questioned and Vincent nodded. "So with potatoes they can stretch to 609."

"By Sol 868 they'll be long dead," Annie said.

"We're gonna have to launch as soon as
possible. Which changes our travel time."

"We're working on it," Mitch replied. "Prelim estimates call for a four-hundred fourteen day trip."

Teddy did some mental math. "It's Sol 135 now. We need thirteen days to mount the boosters and perform inspections. Which gives Bruce and his team... Forty-seven days to make this probe."

"How long does it normally take?" Annie wondered.

"Six months," Vincent answered. "Minimum."

"I'm gonna let you call Bruce and give him the news."

INT. JPL BULLPEN - NIGHT

Bruce and his team sat around a speakerphone. They'd just hung up with Vincent. Everyone looked suitably shellshocked.

"Okay," Bruce said before pausing. "Okay."

Everyone was at a loss for words.

Bruce continued after a moment. "I'm, uh... I'm gonna need a change of clothes. We're all gonna need a change of clothes."

EXT. HERMES - SPACE

The Hermes continued on its course back to Earth.

Sol 136

"Mark, Melina..." Martinez began.

INT. HERMES REC ROOM - SPACE

Martinez typed at his terminal as he said, "Apparently, NASA's letting us talk to you two now, and I drew the short straw. Sorry we left you two behind on Mars, but we don't like you. We like Melina, and maybe rescuing her will stop Beck from talking about how much he misses her."

INT. ROVER - NIGHT

Mark and Melina read their email.

Martinez voiced, "Also, it's a lot roomier on the Hermes without you two. We have to take turns doing both your tasks, but it's only botany and chemistry. How's Mars?"

Mark typed his and Melina's response as he said, "Dear Martinez, Mars is fine. Melina and I accidentally blew up the Hab, but unfortunately all of Commander Lewis' disco music still survived."

Melina typed four simple words. "I miss you, Beck."

INT. HERMES REC ROOM - SPACE

Martinez read Mark and Melina's responses.

"How's the Hermes?" Martinez asked. "Cramped and claustrophobic? Every day Melina and I go outside and look at the vast horizons just because we can. Tell the others she and I said hello."