xiv. halloween

-ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ-

HALLOWEEN WAS NEVER GOING TO be a nice day. Not anymore. Everyone in Grimmauld Place could feel the dread start to build from the moment October began. As it drew nearer, James became withdrawn and stopped coming out of his room for anything except food and order meetings.

Nadya didn't even make any loud noises to wake the whole house up in the morning of October 31st. Polaris came down to her sitting quietly, eating toast as sober as a judge.

"Morning," Polaris says, filling the kettle. "Sleep well?"

Nadya shrugs, her mouth full of toast. Polaris busies herself with the kettle, deciding that everyone could probably use a good cup of tea. She makes sure to put an extra spoonful of sugar into James'.

"I'm going to take this up to James, okay?" she says. "Tell your dads that theirs are just here."

"Okay," Nadya confirms. She's occupied herself with some colouring in, her tongue nearly sticking out in concentration.

Polaris carries the mug carefully up the stairs, knocking quietly on James' door.  There's a quiet "come in" from inside, so Polaris does.

James doesn't have his glasses on, they lie askew on the desk, along with a pot of ink and a broken quill. A snowy owl sits perched on his shoulder, and he strokes it absently as he stares out of the window.

"Morning," Polaris says, somewhat awkwardly. "I, um, brought you some tea."

James looks over to her and smiles briefly, watching as she puts it down beside him.

"Can I get you anything? Breakfast or something? I think the paper is—"

"It's okay," James interrupts quietly. "I'll get it myself, I'm not an invalid Pol."

"I know, but it was just if you were wanting to take some time to yourself or—"

"I'm fine," James says. He reaches for his glasses. "I don't want you to treat me like I'm made of glass, that's the last thing I want. Especially from you."

"I'm not going to treat you any differently," Polaris protests.

"You already are," James smiles wryly. "Since when do you bring me tea in the morning?"

"Just trying to be nice," Polaris mumbles.

"That's basically the definition of treating me differently then isn't it Arsey," James says, and he grins slightly as Polaris rolls her eyes.

"Fine, you want me to be a prick, I can be a prick," she says.

"Good," James says. "I want you to be happy exactly yourself. AKA the biggest prick I know."

"Rude," Polaris huffs. "Sirius is a way bigger prick than I am."

"Not when it comes to me," James grins.

"Right, well fine, I'll just pour this tea down the toilet then will I?" Polaris snaps.

"Oh don't be like that Polaris, I'm just winding you up," James says. "Cheers for the tea, I'll be down soon."

Polaris rolls her eyes, laying it on the desk before semi-storming out of the room. Last time she ever tries to do a good deed.

-ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ-

WHOEVER DECIDED IT WAS A GOOD IDEA TO have an order meeting on Halloween was a complete and utter dud. It was a late one, as Dumbledore and McGonnagal couldn't miss the Halloween feast, Snape too, Polaris supposes, but who would miss that prick? The bats would probably wonder where their leader was, she thought savagely as she sat down at the table. She opens her mouth to say this to Sirius but is quickly interuppted as Alexis sits down beside her.