iii. polaris' new problem

-ˋˏ *

-ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ-

"ARE YOU SERIOUS POLARIS?" REGULUS BLACK says, slamming his hands down on the table. Sixteen year old Polaris sighs, not even glancing up from her homework.

   "If you're looking for Sirius Reg, you've got the wrong person," she says. Regulus scowls, and sends a glare at Ellen, who's coughing to hide her giggles.

   "You're serreally taking the piss this time Polaris," Regulus snaps. "I don't know if I can cover for you for this one."

   "What's got your wand in a knot Reg?" Ellen asks, placing a calming hand on his arm. Regulus is trembling slightly, worry hidden in his angry features.

   "Potter, Polaris, really?" Regulus says, spitting out the words like they're poison on his tongue. "Of all the people you could have chosen, you chose Potter."

   Polaris doesn't say anything, leaning back in her chair and raising a challenging eyebrow. Regulus is practically fizzing with rage, and he turns crossly to Ellen.

   "Did you know about this?"

   "Did I know about what?" Ellen says.

   "Aboutabout her andand"

   "James?" Polaris supplies.

   "Potter," Regulus hisses.

   "Oh, yes," Ellen nods. "Of course I did."

   "Why's it upsetting you so much?" Polaris says, lazily swinging back on her chair. "You jealous?"

   Regulus opens and closes his mouth wordlessly, his eyes flashing with anger. A dark blush is spreading across his pale cheeks, and Polaris raises her eyebrow.

   "Kidding Reg, I'm kidding," she says. "Lighten up a little, jeez."

   "You won't be telling me to lighten up when you get yourself killed," Regulus spits, and Polaris' chair legs hit the floor with a thud. Ellen looks between the cousins warily, sensing he's hit a nerve.

   "It's none of your business," Polaris says stiffly. "Keep your nose out."

   "Polaris, you don't know what they'll do if—"

   "You're right, I don't," Polaris says. "But I know what I'm doing, and I'm just trying to have a bit of fun."

   "Fun doesn't involve this much risk," Regulus shakes his head. "Polaris think about what you're doing."

   "Oi! Arsey!" James Potter's voice ricochet's into the library, and Regulus tenses.

   "Are you fucking kidding me?" he mutters. "Anyone could see you two together!"