ix. the boggart

-ˋˏ *

-ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ-ˎˊ

"KIDS'VE GOT THERE HOGWARTS LETTERS," Sirius informs her as he sits down on the edge of her bed.

   "Oh? So they'll be off to Diagon Alley then?" Polaris says.

   "No, no, Molly and Arthur are going for everyone," Sirius sighs. "No point in the whole lot of them going when half of the adults can't leave." Polaris notes that he seems to be in a bit of a sour mood, eyes slightly more stormy than usual.

   "They've left the letters a bit late," she says. "September first is in like three days."

    "Expect our post got delayed," Sirius mumbles. "Or Dumbledore's just being an arse."

   "Probably the latter," Polaris mutters. Sirius chooses to ignore it.

   "Budge up," he says. "I've decided that we're spending the day together."

   "You have?" Polaris raises an eyebrow at her cousin.

   "I have," Sirius says firmly.

   "What about me having to rest and have lots of peace and quiet?" Polaris grins as Sirius rolls his eyes.

   "Don't you start," he says.

"What's up with you then?" Polaris asks.

   "Worried about Harry," Sirius murmurs. "Kid's not been right since June."

   "Can you blame him?" Polaris says. "He saw someone die, Sirius."

   "I know, I know," Sirius sighs. "He's always been a bit of a weirdo-"

   Polaris snorts. "That's like the pot calling the kettle black."

   Sirius blinks a few times, taking a second to process what she'd said. When he realises, he picks up a pillow and whacks her, saying, "you cheeky bastard!"

   "What?" Polaris laughs. "You are a bit of a weirdo."

   "Okay, well anyways," Sirius huffs. "He has always been a bit weird, but now it's like worry worthy weird."

   "He's not weird," Polaris frowns. "I know weird, I've seen a lot of weird people in my time." Seen them, shagged them, killed a few.

    "I won't be able to see him," Sirius says after a while. "I think that's what's worrying me. I won't be able to see him at Hogsmeade, and neither will..."

   "James?" Polaris supplies, quirking an eyebrow. "You know you can say his name around me, right?"

   "He told me about your fight," Sirius mumbles. Polaris swallows, her mouth running dry. Did James voice his concerns about her lack of wand use?

   "What did he say?" she asks, her heart beating heavily against her ribcage.

   "Just that you didn't want his help, and that he was worried about you," Sirius says. "He's worried about everyone these days, so I told him he was being silly."