Chapter 39 - Secrets revealed

3rd person POV

 "Kazuha got his memories back."

 "I'm aware."

 "Oh, he told you?"

 "He didn't, but it's quite obvious."

 Was it?

 Maybe not to others, but it was extremely obvious to Scaramouche.

 From his eyes that darkened once again, to the lack of smiles and enthusiastic greetings. And above all...

 He hadn't called him Kuni since then.

 It wasn't like Scaramouche expected to be treated like that forever. Deep down he always knew that it was only temporary, that it would be gone the moment Kazuha got his memories back, but still...

 He would never admit it, but it put him in an extremely bad mood.

 To be honest, Scaramouch really had no idea what to do with this weird feeling he felt. What feeling it was, deep down he might know, but he still just brushed it off as something impossible.

 He was just a puppet without a heart. 'That' feeling is not something he could possibly feel.

 Luckily for him, emotions were always so easy to hide. As long as he wanted to, he could always just-

 "There you are. I'm done. We can go now if you have nothing else to do."

 Kazuha just had to come out at a time like this.

 Intentionally or not, he turned Scaramouche into a mess.

 "N-no, I have nothing to do. We can go back now."

 Kazuha raised an eyebrow at the stutter, but luckily didn't comment on it. Had he done so, Scaramouche might have actually punched someone to vent his embarrassment.

 In the end, Scaramouche was still too bothered and embarrassed to teleport them back and the two ended up going on foot.

 "What's with you two? I have never experienced such an awkward atmosphere in my life." Makoto commented after a while.

 The air around the two was stiffening.

 Scaramouche was annoyed at his inability to get rid of or hide his feeling and Kazuha was still thinking about the things he had read at the Kamisato estate.

 Makoto's sudden interruption nearly earned a retort from not only Scaramouche, but from Kazuha as well.

 Nearly.

 Before the two could open their mouth, they both stiffened up.

 Far yet close, they both sensed a hostile presence. Weirdly enough, they both glanced in another direction.

 "What is wrong with you two?"

 Makoto who had been walking ahead turned to look back at the two given the lack of reply or retort.

 "Nothing much. I just noticed a bothersome bug around." Kazuha smiled.

 "A bug?"

 "There is quite a lot of them here in Chinju forest." Scaramouch commented.

 "Is that so?"

 Don't blame Makoto for not noticing.

 At this point, she was merely a soul. Just the fact that she could maintain an image is a miracle. Asking her to sense a presence at the distance those two were sensing would be too much.