Chapter 7 - Power of spirits

Scaramouche's POV

 Greater spirits.

 Among spirits, there's a strict hierarchy: lesser, higher, and greater.

 Most of the spirits in Teyvat are lesser spirits, with a few higher ones. Greater spirits are so few that even their existence is doubted sometimes.

 Higher spirits rule over the lesser ones and greater spirits are above all of them.

 To be faced with three of them at the same time...

 "He seems shocked." The one who called himself Sero spoke.

 "I think it's quite normal. There aren't that many of us in this world, after all." The eldest, Sol, brushed it off.

 "Are you okay, my dear?" Nivi asked concerned.

 "I think I need a moment."

 I think I need more than one, actually.

 I don't know much about spirits. I know that every element has them, but nothing more than that.

 "Should I explain a little?" She offered.

 "Please do."

 "I suppose you know that every element has its spirits and that spirits have their own ranking system of lesser, higher, and greater."

 I nodded.

 "Well, the amount of spirits differs from element to element. This is the same for greater spirits as well. Some elements have less some have more."

 "Wouldn't that be..."

 "Unfair? Yes, it is, but what can we do about it. Anemo has four, hydro has three, pyro has two, and cryo, electro, as well as geo have only one."

 "What about dendro?"

 "The dendro element does not have a single higher spirit let alone a greater one. They do have a whole bunch of lesser spirits, however. That whole story is really just too complicated so let's not start it, okay?"

 "I'm fine not knowing..." It sounds like a pain.

 "Since you're explaining already, I might as well help out too. When it comes to greater spirits, that represent an important part of their element, like the seasons for us. For hydro it's the seas, the lakes, and the rivers. For pyro, it's flames of warmth and cold. Electro is the spirit of storms, cryo is the spirit of frost, and geo is the spirit of the earth. Speaking of the spirit of the earth, when it comes to individual strength, that guy is the strongest." Sol joined as well.

 "And after him comes our dear spring, doesn't he?"

 "Yes, yes! Our brother is the strongest!" Sero exclaimed.

 The spirit of the spring winds? Where are they anyway?

 "Enough of that. If you two continue, the kid might get curious enough to ask. I don't intend to answer any questions about the spring wind, just so you know." Sol glanced in my direction.

 No questions, go it. But you don't need to glare like that.

 "Spirits are responsible for a certain part of their element. The higher the rank, the more responsibility. Even though I am responsible for the winds during the winter, I cannot do this alone. There are lesser and higher spirits under my command who aid me in this. The same goes for other greater spirits as well."

 So that's how it works. But, should you really be telling me that?

 Apparently, I wasn't the only one thinking about this.