"What emergency? If there were personal or any emergency, Fiona would have definitely texted me if not called." Emily was utterly perplexed. "Let me call her."

Unfortunately, Fiona didn't pick up. 'At least her phone was not switched off.' Justin thought.

"Damn it! I am calling her Mom." Emily said in frustration.

Fiona's mother picked up the phone after a few rings.

"Hey, Laurel."

"Keep the phone on loudspeaker," James whispered hastily to Emily, to which she rolled her eyes but did as he told her to.

"Hello, Emily. How are you doing? It's been really long since you have spoken with me." Laurel greeted her daughter's best friend.

"I am doing as good as a mentally harassed person could do, and I blame your mother for that. After Fiona, now she wants to torment me by imprisoning me with some jerk." Emily gruffed.

"Not all guys are bad, Emily. At the very least, give one guy a chance that my mother chooses for you." Laurel tried to explain to Emily.

"Naah! I will pass." She had no intention of hooking herself up with any guy. She is off-limits to everyone.

"Let me tell you something, Emily. One day, a right guy will come knocking on your doorsteps, and you won't be able to resist him."

"My door has a sign that says 'trespassers will be prosecuted.' And you know the best part is that I am the prosecutor, judge, and executioner." Emily smirked.

"There is no winning from you. Now tell me, young girl, how was your lunch with your father? Fiona told me in the morning that you had a family get-together with him." Laurel's statement made Emily standstill.

"What do you expect? Some things just never change. I only went there because Jake begged me to, as he didn't want to deal with him and our so-called sister alone. Fortunately, our beloved sister decided to skip, so we only had one problem to deal with. I am going to have a nightmare for days. And the worse thing is I have not even been able to recover from the previous one." Emily told her truthfully.

She hates her father to the point of hostility. And it is not an exaggeratio. Her her younger sister is a whole other story. To be utterly honest, she and Jake, do not even consider their father and sister as their family.

"Emily." Laurel sighed lovingly.

She might not have given birth to Emily, but she was no less than a daughter to her. Both Jake and Emily are part of her family.

"Well, why don't you take a few days off and come home early? Fiona is already there, and she told me that you were planning to visit for a few days. It will be a nice break for you."

"Yes, I could use a good break. Thanks, Laurel. You are the best."

Emily meant it.

Laurel is like a second mother to her. They might not be blood-related, but that has never stopped Laurel from making her feel at home, especially after her own mother died.

"No problem at all. So I will see you soon." Laurel bid her goodbye.

As soon as Emily hung up the phone, she pointed at Justin. "What the hell did you do, Justin?"

"I swear, Emily. I didn't do anything." Justin raised both his hands in surrender.

"Then why the hell Fiona ran home without even telling me? Look, Justin. I am giving you one last warning. My mind is already in a boncus mode, and I am very close to punching a wall or smashing someone's head. So you better tell me what the hell happened between you two before I become a prime suspect for assaulting you." Emily was furious.