~Chapter Four~

Beginne am Anfang

"Oh. I understand" Mom said

"Nova" Mike called "we know you've been inside for a very long time, that's why we decided on this picnic. So feel free. Okay?"

I forced a smile "I'll try"

"Good . Now let's go have some fun!!" mom exclaimed.

With the faux smile still on my face, I took everything and loaded them into the truck. I got into the back while Mom sat in front with Mike as our driver.

Mike started the engine and few minutes later we were headed for the mountains.

~~~~~~~

The tall trees that grew all over the mountain had formed a very thick forest. Our truck drove along the path paved on the mountain. We continued to drive as Mike kept on talking about his escapades which I was clearly not interested in but heard anyways.

I took in the beauty and serenity of the flowers and trees as our truck sped through. Each time I tried to block out the talking and chattering of the two people in front but it didn't work, instead Mom's laughter would infiltrate my ears and my anger always rising at the annoying sound.

After sitting for what seemed like forever in a car that I was so uncomfortable in, stepping out felt like freedom. It had been a little difficult for my parents to find a good spot for us. So we kept on driving until they found the 'perfect place' as Mike had called it

The first thing I noticed was the smell of the rain forest. It was so reliving that I had to breathe in and out a couple of times so I could take it all in. I brought down the things in the truck and set up the picnic.

I had no idea how a picnic was done but I couldn't care much. This was an opportunity for me to see the world outside my room and house where I've been held a prisoner for a couple of years. I laid down the mats we had brought and placed the baskets of fruits and other things my mom had picked out.

Mike said we would play a game he called Monopoly. I didn't know much about games so I brought my books and novels which had kept me busy during the time I felt alone.

Mike sat with Mom on the mat I had laid a while ago while I laid on another one and sat on it.
"Let's take some fruits before we start the game" Mom announced

We agreed and she handed each of us an apple. I ate mine pretty slow while they gobbled up theirs amidst talks and laughs. They were done eating and Mike brought out the Monopoly game. He read out the rules of which I didn't get even one out of it.

Eventually we started playing, but after two rounds, I couldn't take it anymore, their laughter and cackling was all I heard. So I left them and went to sit at the root of one of the trees carrying my books with me.

As I sat down, I looked at the root I sat on and back to the tree. I didn't know much about trees and flowers. I couldn't even identity the one I sat on. I ran my hand over the tree's bark and felt it smooth on my skin.

I took my attention away from the tree and started reading one of the books I had brought with me. It was one of my favorites and I loved reading it over and over again that I feared that I'd get tired of it. I started from the beginning and I'm reminded of all that happened in the story.

The stolen princess. About a young princess who was loved by all who knew her and could put smiles on the faces of people at all time. She......

"Nova" Mike called standing up from where he sat.

I became annoyed. Why did he choose to disturb me now. My head was still bent low and I pretended like I wasn't disturbed but kept on reading.

"Nova" this time it was mom's voice

"Yes" I replied raising my head. They had both found their way to where I sat and stood in front of me.

"What's wrong? We should be having fun right now but you're reading. That's not why we're here" mom queried.

"That's true Nova, you are the reason why we're here so try and have fun" Mike added.

I stood up and picked up my books. I went over to the mat and picked the ones there too. Mike and my mom just kept looking at me as I packed the books.

Mom came closer "honey please talk to me"

My thoughts ran wild. I didn't want to be around them. They only thought of themselves every time and thought of me only when they felt I was sad or sick. I had to get away from them.

So I packed all the books and took them to the truck knowing that their eyes were still on me. I kept all except the one I was reading. I put it underneath the jacket I wore and with a smile on my face, I turned around and went to meet them.

"Mom.... Mike, I understand what you both are trying to tell me. So I've decided to let go and have all the fun I can get"

"Wow, you really got me there" Mom said and chuckled "I thought there was actually something wrong"

"No mom, there's absolutely nothing wrong" I said trying to sound convincing.

"Okay dear"

Mike who had become silent came closer "Do you still want to play, I could let you win if you want" he asked

'Um.. No, I think I want to go and take a look around. Maybe see new things and learn about them"

"Are you sure about that honey? 'Cause I don't know if....." I cut her short

"I'll be fine mom, don't worry about me. I'm a grown ass woman" I defended.

Mike chuckled "Yeah babe, let her be. She's a grown woman now"

"Fine.... If you say so, but don't wander for too long. It's dangerous out there so be careful" mom advised

"I will mom!!" I shouted as I made my way deeper into the woods and the last thing I heard was mike telling my Mom that I'll be fine. For once in a long time, I was happy with him. And I sauntered off to have a quiet time alone.

Even with all that's going on in my life, I have a strong feeling that my life was about to change. But the question I ask myself everyday is.... if it will be for the better or for the worse? I'm still yet to find out. 

🔶🔷🔶🔷