6) Days In The Life

Start from the beginning

"Anything measured."

"Correct. Such as...?"

"Density, length, volume, and temperature. The chemical properties are its ability to burn or reactivity."

"And the different spheres of the Earth?"

"Biosphere, atmosphere, geosphere, and hydrosphere."

You decided to really test him, knowing for a fact no fifth grade curriculum had your next question.

"Tell me, Peter, what is the rate of reaction in Heterogeneous Catalysis?"

He paused for a moment and then seemed to recite something he'd read somewhere. "In heterogeneous systems the reaction occurs in a single phase like gas. Thermodynamics, mass transfer, and heat transfer influence the rate of the reaction."

You weren't ashamed to admit your jaw dropped. That was university level and even then it was advanced stuff. This kid was probably smarter than most scientists, probably even yourself and your dad.

"You really are smart." You smiled. "Feel like doing my homework for me?"

He looked up at you, curious. "You have homework?"

"Yep. It's work stuff."

"What do you do?" May asked.

"Just some engineering. But I could do with a smart helper."

Peter grinned. "Can I really do it?"

"If it's okay with your aunt and uncle."

May and Ben looked at each other and Ben nodded, approving. May was quick to agree.

"I'll help you as well." You promised. "If you've got any homework of your own, that is."

Peter seemed to think about it before looking up again. "Do you know technology?"

You smirked. "You bet I do."

-

"And that deserves a reward." You declared, leaning back in your chair to snatch a bag of candy from the shelf above. "One for me, and one for Pete."

It had been a while since meeting the Parkers officially and you'd spent many hours with Peter during that time. You helped him with homework and he helped you with some of the smaller and less deadly inventions you were working on. You looked after him if May and Ben had late or early shifts and more than once you'd been the one to pick him up from school, even becoming friendly with some of the parents. The family were trusting and kind and were happy to call you a friend.

You and Peter had just finished some of his schoolwork and closed the textbook, dropping the bag of candy in the middle of the desk so you could both tuck in.

"Don't tell May, okay?" You said. "We've already exceeded the sugar limit."

"I promise." He nodded eagerly. "You're the best, Ellen."

"I know, kid."

You shared a smile and sat there for a few minutes simply talking and eating as the time passed. You still had several hours before May finished her shift and kept thinking about what to do during that time. You knew Peter's friend was coming over at some point but that was still an hour away.

"Want a sandwich?" You suggested.

Peter looked at you. "A sandwich?"

"Yeah. You know... Bread."

"I know what a sandwich is."

"Great. So, do you want one?"

He was about to reply but stopped, thinking about it. "Only if I can get you one."