Chapter 10. New Friends & Connections

Kaylin's POV

I padded into the bathroom after talking to Ben and Audrey, seeing Jane looking at herself in the mirror. "Hi, it's Jane, right? I've always loved that name, Jane." I smiled. "That's cool." She tried walking away but I held out my hand to stop her. "Don't go!" She stopped dead in her tracks. I put my hand by my side and looked down. "I guess I was just kind of hoping to make a friend. You probably have a bunch of friends." I said, sighing. "Hardly any." She said and I was caught off my tracks. The daughter of Fairy Godmother, barely having any friends? Is it because she's shy like me? "I mean with your mom being Fairy Godmother and headmistress. Not to mention, you have your personality and great features." I told her and frowned. "I would love to be pretty like you. You have amazing hair." She said and Gizmo perched his head sideways. "I wouldn't call this pretty but I guess I could help," I said and she closed her eyes. I pulled out my dad's ember and it started glowing. Her head moved a few times before she finally opened her eyes in the mirror to see her short hair now long. "Do my nose!" She said. "I can't, I've tried it on myself and it doesn't work," I said and she nodded. "Why don't you think your pretty? So many of my classmates wished they were dating you." Jane said. "Really?" She nodded.

"I've had trouble looking at myself for years. Unlike you, you feel confident about yourself I bet." I said and she shook her head. "No, I'm not. I don't feel like I am pretty enough, the main reason why I think that's why I don't have many friends except maybe Audrey." Jane told me. "Oh, yeah. You and Audrey are most definitely friends. You hang out with her a lot." I said, sitting on the countertop. "Is that why you have a dog?" She asked me. "No, this dog is for other reasons. Mostly, my PTSD and anxiety for years I didn't know that I had both of those things. My psychologist gave me some medication and he reminds me when to take it." I explained and she nodded. "That reminds me, I came in here because I wanted to use the sink to take my meds and also to become friends with you. So what do you say?" I asked her and Jane's face lit up. "You want to be my friend?" I nodded. "Okay, we can be friends!" She said and I smiled happily. I took my meds before looking at her. "Shall we head to class and keep talking?" I asked and she nodded.

Audrey's POV

Hanging out with Yareli today. I'm hoping she might give me some information about Kaylin and see if she can help me become better friends with her. "Thank you so much for hanging out with me today, Yareli. It means the world. I tried to ask Kaylin but she got busy." I said and Yareli was adding some color to her hair. "Not a problem. I love Kaylin like my sister but talking to her is like trying to talk to a brick wall." She said and I nodded. "You and Kaylin seem close. Have you always been?" I asked her and she sighed. "Our parents are friends, co-workers if you want to get specific. My younger twin brother, Zevon, used to hang out with Shawn while I used to hang out with Kaylin. I noticed there was something different about Kaylin and I wanted to protect her weirdly. So we ended up becoming closer and hung out almost every day." She dipped her hair painting brush into the purple before applying it to the purple part of her hair. 

"Are you even protected right now?" I asked her and went over to where she was. "I have gloves on. Petroleum jelly is on the bottom edges of my head, the top edges of my forehead, and the edges of my gloves. I am also wearing a long sleeve shirt that I don't care if it stains, I'm protected." She said and I nodded. "So apparently like Kaylin went to a psychologist and they gave her medication," I said and she nodded. "I went with her because Shawn was busy at the practice," Yareli said and I nodded. "As you know, I and Ben aren't dating. Has Kaylin dropped any hints on having a crush on him?" Yareli dropped her brush and looked at me. "Girl, yes, she has. She keeps blushing, she chatted to me so long last night about how handsome and cute he was but she didn't want you or him to know." I sighed in relief. "You know what we need to be? We need to be wingwoman for our friends." I said and she laughed. "Yes, we do. Ben keeps acting like a puppy dog and if he won't say anything, then we will help them both out." 

Mal's POV

I was sitting next to Evie at a picnic bench when Nathan (played by Jordan Fisher), son of Tiana and Naveen, came up to us with his best friend, Doug. "Hey Mal, hey Evie." He yelled and we turned to them. "Hi, boys. Want to join us?" I asked them and they both sat down. Nathan sat across from me while Doug sat across from Evie. I've noticed things about Nathan... he's so handsome, his eyes are like dark chocolate, his hair is like a fluffy chocolate cloud, and everything about him is like eye candy. "What are you both doing out here?" Evie asked. "We saw you both and decided to sit here. We also wanted help with our homework and we could help you." Doug said. "Huh, do you know anything about the magic wand?" I asked them both, leaning against my hands. "Well, Fairy Godmother hasn't used it since magic is outdated. We need to use our hands not our magic. Also, Ben gets blessed with it at the coronation like how his girlfriend will become queen with the same blessing. It's like how I will be crowned king of Maldonia-" Evie cut Nathan off. "Hold on, you'll be crowned king? Are you first in line?" She wondered. 

"Yeah, I have 3 younger brothers and a younger sister. I am the oldest so I will be crowned king." Nathan said and I nodded. "Are you single?" I questioned and he looked at me. "Mhm, I haven't found the right girl. Mama says, 'when I meet the right girl, I'll know.'" So inspirational, my mother would never approve of me dating anyone, let alone a hot prince! Gosh, darn it, mother!! "She sounds like a lovely person." I smiled. "You have to meet her and try her beignets! I'll take you to my kingdom one day!" Nathan said and I giggled. Sounds so romantic... WAIT! What am I saying?! We aren't even dating! "Amazing, why don't me and Evie go study in the library and you can show Mal the map of the kingdom?" Doug told Nathan and gave him the map. Nathan pulled it out and put it onto the table before pointing to his kingdom. Doug linked arms with Evie before pulling her away to the library. I smiled and listened to Nathan as he explained... He's dreamy, I'm hoping he's still single in the future, maybe only in my dreams, if only my dreams were not imaginary but real...

Kaylin's POV (A Few Hours Later)

"Mom said, 'If a boy can't see the beauty within", then he's not worth it.' Can you believe it? What world does she live in?!" Jane yelled and lay on Yareli's bed. "Auradon and their stupid rules," I said, sketching in my notebook. Gizmo was laying on the ground, on the side of my bed. Yareli was inside the bathroom, dying one of Audrey's friend's ends of her hair while Audrey was sitting on the table in the middle of our room. "Your mom has strict rules, Jane, just like my Grammy does. I've tried to explain that I and Ben aren't together but what does she do? Ignore it! As always!" Audrey told her. "I'll never get a boyfriend," Jane said. "Tell that to Mal, she thinks they are overrated," I said, giggling. "That's what she used to say before she met Nathan," Evie said, coming into the room before sitting next to me on the ground. "Nathan, son of Tiana and Naveen? Well, well, I thought that Mal would never meet anyone here in Auradon." Audrey was trimming her nails with the nail file.

"I still think they are overrated, it's just that Nathan made me believe they aren't," Mal said, I laughed out loud. "Is there something I said that made you laugh, Kaylin?" She asked me. "Nope, nothing much." I said.