Chapter 9. Tourney, Troublemakers, & Friends

"So there's something called tourney?" I asked Ben as we walked to the so-called tourney field. I was holding onto Gizmo's handle and he was staying by my leg. "Mhm. According to the whole school, if you ask, I'm the best of the best when in reality, I am not at all. Chad Charming, the son of Cinderella and Prince Charming, is better than me. Even your brother and the boys might be better than me." He told me and I nodded. I looked over and saw Audrey. "Hey, Benny! Hey Kaylin!" She yelled as she ran over and kissed Ben's cheek. "I thought you weren't dating," Yareli said and they looked at us. "We have to make it look like we are dating. They are very watchful eyes and our parents don't know we broke up. If they found out, we would be in trouble." Audrey said and both of us nodded. "Well, your secret is safe with me," I said. "Same." She said. "Thank you, both. But uh, I need to run over. Audrey, can they stay and watch?" Ben asked her and she smiled. "Of course, I would be happy to. Maybe you could even cheer with us." She said and I laughed. "Maybe," I said and Ben ran over. We both sat down on the bleachers and Gizmo sat down by my legs. Coach Jenkins whistled and looked around. "Jay, Shawn, offense. Chad, Ben, your defense. Taylor, you are the shooter." He said and Taylor ran over to the dragon structure.

"Which is the guy you have a crush on?" Yareli asked Audrey and she pointed to the dirty blonde-haired dude. "Name is Chad. He doesn't like the idea of villain kids even though we told him that you are trustworthy but don't worry about him." She said and I nodded. "Hey. Hey! Hey, you. Lost boy! Put your helmet on. Get out of the kill zone! Come on!" Coach yelled and I covered my ears. "If you don't like this much loudness during practice, don't go to the games," Audrey told me and I sighed. "We need to get you something to fidget with..." She mumbled and Coach whistled. Jay started running around like a mad machine while Shawn was running close to him. They were throwing the balls back and forth while the cheerleaders were jumping and cheering. "Let's go, boys!!" Yareli cupped her hands over her mouth and whooped. Audrey was jumping and cheering loudly as well. They finally finished and Coach called Jay over. "What do you call that? I call that raw talent. Come find me later. I'll show you something you haven't seen before. It's called a rule book. Welcome to the team, son." He looked at my brother.

"Great teamwork out there. Love the way you were blocking and making sure your teammate was alright. Welcome to the team as well." I jumped up and high-fived Audrey & Yareli. "You ever thought about the band?" Coach asked Carlos and the other two laughed. "I'll work with him, coach," Ben said and I smiled happily. He's such a nice guy... An hour later, they finished and Ben ran over to us with Shawn. "You made the team!" I hugged my brother who spun me around. "Man, that makes me happy. If it wasn't for this guy, I wouldn't have made it." He punched Ben's shoulder and Ben laughed. "Glad to help," Ben said and we both smiled. 

A Few Hours Later

I was at my locker, putting stuff away since school was over while Yareli was chatting to me about her other classes. Gizmo was sitting and looking at us. I then overheard Chad, Audrey, and Ben laughing. They stopped at Ben's locker and Chad looked at us. "Those kids are trouble." He said and I looked over. "Bye K." Yareli said and I smiled. "Bye Y." I said and looked over once again. "Come on, Chad. You need to give them a chance." Ben said. "I mean isn't it suspicious that they look like they are dumb and nice? In reality, we know they are pretending to be-" Audrey cut off Chad. "First of all, Chad, not everyone on the Isle is cruel. Hades' daughter and son are amazing. Not to mention, Yzma's daughter is really smart. Second of all, not every villain is rude or evil. I have talked to Hades myself and he wants the best for his daughter. He even told his sister-in-law and brother to help his daughter out. If you want to be rude, then don't be our friend. Maybe get to know someone before you judge them." Audrey said and Chad rolled his eyes before walking away. They then walked towards us and I shut my locker. "Hey." Ben smiled. "Hello." I said. "How was the rest of your first day?" Audrey asked. "Super." I said. 

"I keep forgetting to ask you but me and my friends were going shopping tomorrow. We want to invite you if that is alright." I noticed Fairy Godmother's daughter pass by us and I looked at them. "I'll think about it, thanks." I said and followed after Jane with Gizmo right by me.

Ben's POV

"No matter how hard I try. Or how hard we try." I said, leaning against the locker. "Remember what Hades said. It's really hard to get her to talk to us." Audrey said and I sighed. "I know that but like, how can we get her to trust us?" I wondered. "Let her take her time, Ben. She let you comfort her when Hades says that only Shawn can calm her down, that's a step in the right direction. Besides, my friends are willing to trust her. They actually liked talking to her at the tourney field. Maybe shopping with us will calm her nerves." She said and I nodded. "I guess you're right." I said. "Come on, let's go talk to Coach." Audrey said and we both headed to the field. One step at a time...