CHAPTER THIRTY THREE: Olive Branch

Start from the beginning

"Into your room? What do you take me for?" I snorted in mock disbelief, actively trying to rile him up. It was foolish, and pathetic, but I knew he wouldn't ever hurt me. Not gravely, anyway. "I already told you, I-"

"I ain't gonna touch you, so can you just hurry it up? I'm gonna be pissed if I've wasted my time..." Kid avoided my eyes as he spoke to me, and that was when I noticed how tired he looked.

The bags under his eyes weren't all too dark, but still very noticeable, and instead of pushing his hair back, his goggles hung loose around his neck. Much to my dismay, I found the natural state of his hair rather attractive.

With a suspicious glare, I did as he instructed me to do, but out of curiosity, not loyalty to his wants and wishes.
"Alright, I'm here. What's this about? I'm still-"

"No shit you're still mad at me. It's hard not to notice when you're shoving it in my face all the damn time..." Kid muttered as he shut the door, matching a direct line from there to his bedside table.

Usually, before I decided to make myself hate him, I would have plonked myself down on his bed and made myself at home. This time, however, I just stood in the middle of the room, watching him closely.

"Then, what? Why did you bring me here instead of just saying whatever it is down in the figurehead?" I questioned, brow quirking when I saw him pick up something wrapped in stained cloth.

"Cuz...I just did. I don't have to have a reason." He muttered, still looking everywhere except my face as he approached, extending his hand with the wrapped item. "Here. Take it."

He's acting weird...

The longer I stared at the item, the harder it was for Kid to stay composed. He was growing more and more agitated by the second, and I could tell by the way his hand began to shake.
"J..Just take the damn thing already, woman! It ain't gonna bite!"

Puffing out an exasperated breath, I grabbed the cloth-wrapped mystery object and looked up into his pinched face, taking note of the way his cheeks were on the path to matching his hair in colour.

It was pretty light, but even through the covering I could tell that whatever it was was made of metal. Weighing it in my hand for a few moments, just to make the irate man suffer a little longer. Flipping back the dirty calico material, I couldn't help but gasp.

It was a pistol. Small, sleek, and the most gorgeous weapon I had ever seen in my life. What really had me in awe were the embellishments. Intricate detailing of ships and seas upon the grip, and creatures within said seas danced gracefully along the barrel.

It's...

"Kid..." I murmured, having to drag my eyes from the pistol to find his, only to be received by the side of his face. "Did you...make this..?" He shifted uncomfortably, raking a hand through his unwashed hair.
"N..No shit. 'Course I did. The sister for it ain't finished yet, but they're a pain in the ass to make that well, so...You're fuckin' welcome..."

So that's why he was spending all his time down in the workshop...

He moved to throw himself down onto his bed, and I lifted the pistol to test how it matched with my hand, aiming for a rustic globe that sat upon his dresser.
"It feels like a dream in my hand..." I announced, smiling widely and moving my aim to other things around his room. "I love it. Thank you..."

From where he sat, Kid was finally looking at me from behind his hand, which he had rested over his face.
"Yeah, well, I wronged you, so...Can't have you totin' around shit weapons when you're part of my crew, anyway."