Chapter 6 | Nightmares

6 | Nightmares

"For most people, it's history now. But for me, whenever I close my eyes, it all comes back clearly".

Lilith and Jim Gordon were once again sitting in the study of Wayne Manor

Lilith and Jim Gordon were once again sitting in the study of Wayne Manor. Alfred was telling them about Bruce as he looked through one of the two windows. The butler was extremely worried about the boy.

"He's not been sleeping," Alfred told them. "And when he does, he has these nightmares".

"That's normal after what he went through," Lilith explained. "I went through the same thing after my parents were killed".

Truth was, she still had them. That masked man still haunted her after thirteen years.

Alfred nodded absent-mindedly. "Yes, but... now he's hurting himself. Burning himself. He's cutting".

"I'll talk to him," Lilith said also concerned. Alfred turned to face her and Gordon with the hope that perhaps they could convince Bruce to stop hurting himself. The butler didn't know what else to do.

"Is he getting professional help?" Jim asked.

Alfred grimaced. "Oh, you mean psychiatrists. Oh, no, none, he won't have them. No psychiatrists, that's a rule".

Gordon stood up. "You make the rules, don't you? You're his guardian".

"Now, Bruce's father..." Alfred paused as he stepped away from the window and stood before the Detective, "...gave me very firm orders was him and his missus to die. Now I will raise the boy the way his father told me to raise him".

"Which is how?" Jim asked, stepping closer to the butler.

"Trust him to choose his own course," Alfred answered. "He is, after all, a Wayne".

"Sounds like a recipe for disaster," the Detective said and a corner of Lilith's mouth raised for a quick second. "What do you want us to do?"

"He wants you to talk some sense into me".

The trio turned their heads to see Bruce had just walked into the room.

Alfred wasn't impressed, not in the slightest, and pointed a finger at the boy. "Haven't I told you to stop creeping up on people like that. It's bloody rude".

"All right then, Bruce," Jim spoke calmly. "Talk to me".

"I'm perfectly fine," answered the boy as he sent a glare towards his butler. "Alfred's a worrywart".

"What'd you do to your hand?" The Detective asked and Bruce cast his eyes down.

Lilith leaned forward to grab her teacup and for a second, was able to see the circular red mark on the palm of Bruce's right hand.

"I burned it".

She took a sip of the tea. Peppermint. It smelled great and it tasted even better. Meanwhile, Jim was still trying to get to Bruce, although, she was sure he would go nowhere. Not with his approach. "Listen to me, Bruce. You've been through a terrible experience. Talking to someone can be very helpful".