He laughed. “Well yeah! I’m not that much of an idiot to call out one million after 225 grand.” Stretching his legs out in front of him, Chase took the necklace out of the box and held it up to the light. “That’s what you wanted right? Even more than wearing this lousy diamond necklace, you wanted to help people, right?”

Chase wasn’t even looking at her, but at that moment, Krislynn found that she couldn’t take her eyes off of him and for the second time that night, her heart skipped a beat because of this man. No one, no matter how much they connected, no one had ever been able to understand her the way he just did. “How did you know?” Her voice was unimaginably soft when she spoke, but magically, he seemed to have heard her.

How?” His sudden shock was followed with a weak chuckle. “I don’t know. I just... I get it. I get you. Does that make sense?”

It didn’t, but Krislynn found herself agreeing anyways. “Well, do you want this necklace still or what?”

A quick blush swept across her face, but through her embarrassment, she found herself nodding. “If that’s okay with you,” she mumbled.

“Of course it’s okay. I brought it for you. Do you expect me to wear this?” She laughed faintly as he circled the white gold chain around her neck and clipped it together around the back. “It suits you.” Chase pulled back and smiled at her, and when he saw her smiling back, he added, “Well miss, it looks like a certain mistaken little piggy owes me a couple of words.”

Krislynn pressed her lips together to form a tiny pout on her face. Her hand gently gripped the diamond studded heart on the necklace before extending out and giving him a smack on the shoulder. “You’re right,” she said boisterously. “I forgive you.”

Chase groaned. “That wasn’t what I was talking about!”

“Well, that’s all you’re going to get.”

The atmosphere around them quickly lifted after their resolved misunderstanding, and the two of them chatted away as they waited for Seth and Michelle to finish fooling around on the dance floor. Except two whiskey on the rocks for Chase and one more Long Island for Krislynn later, Michelle and Seth still seemed to be having the time of their lives.

“I’m so tired of sitting here and waiting for them.” Turning to Krislynn, he laid out his hand with his palm up. “I can’t dance worth shit, but do you want to do a twirl anyways?”

“No you dumb Donkey,” she giggled as she playfully slapped him across the face. True to word, she really was bad with alcohol and though she doubt she could stand up straight her judgement was still sort of hanging there – slightly. “Right now, I just want to crawl into bed or at least take off these shoes. These monstrous heels are killing me.”

Seth came back right at that moment to cool off with a glass of water. “Dude. Are we leaving yet?” Chase muttered. “How long is this stupid dance?”

He shrugged as he slumped down on a chair beside Chase. “Michelle’s still dancing.”