Chapter 51

51. Serves You Right

            Krislynn woke up with a heavy, airy feeling in her head and her eyes burned from the lack of rest when she came out of her sleep. She felt like she had slept forever, but in fact it had only been a few hours and her body complained upon her awakening. It might have been the time of the day – being mid afternoon – and her brain refused to let her sleep any further despite her exhaustion.

            After sitting up gingerly, Krislynn gathered the rest of her thoughts and quickly searched around her vicinity for Chase. He was absent, and after a moment of alarm, she decided to take in her surrounding. She was on a bed, alone in a room somewhere that made her feel like she had travelled back in time to the Victorian era. Floral patterns swallowed up the room and then spat it out, dominating its presence on the wallpaper, the carpet, the lace curtains, the bedding – everything.

            Everything in the room just gave off a feeling of the olden days where T.Vs and iPods didn’t exist, but despite the aura of ancient civilization – and perhaps the bad décor – the room was still warm with hospitality. With that small thread of reassurance, Krislynn got out of bed and almost tripped over her own luggage when she made her way to the door.

            Great. Perfect. No doubt Chase had thrown her inside the room after and then left their luggage lying around the floor for her to pick up once she woke. She let out a sigh of disdain and picked them up since it was partially her job to clean up after him.

            After she placed their stuff to the side and picked up his jacket that he left hanging off the side of the bed, half dragging on the ground, she took a deep breath and prepared herself for the exploration through the rest of the house. She didn’t know where Chase was – he had left his phone on the nightstand – and she was worried about who she’d run into before she could actually find him. Then she’d have to introduce herself, she realized, which could end up being supremely uncomfortable.

            Deciding she should just get it on with, she gave herself a mental fist pump as encouragement and headed toward the exit just as the familiar voice drifted into her ears in faint, grumpy mumbles. “It’s been hours! I can’t believe she’s still sleeping. I’m going to starve her later as revenge.”

            Krislynn rolled her eyes at Chase’s remark and extended her hand to the doorknob just as the whole door swung open in crazy speed and smacked her in the forehead. She automatically let out a piercing cry and tumbled backwards as her hands went for her face protectively. She tripped as she backed up in confusion and released another sharp shriek, squeezing her eyes close for the impact of the fall, but met something softer instead. Slowly, she lifted her eyelids and found herself in Chase’s arms, her eyes looking directly up at his annoyingly gorgeous face.

            She let out a breath of relief, and so did Chase when he realized he had caught her just in time, helping her back up on her feet before glowering at her. “What kind of stupid person trips like that?!” He screamed, but Krislynn stuck out her bottom lip and blushed in response, her stomach in knots since his concern for her had made him completely fluster even if only briefly.

            Of course, the giddy feeling subsided quickly as the anger flooded her veins and she felt the pain on her head again. “You were the one who hit me!” She shouted, her voice accusing and snappy. “What kind of person swings the door open like that?! Ow… This really hurts.”