Ch. 17 | Believer

"My life, my love, my drive, it came from pain."
- Believer, Imagine Dragons

。⋆。˚ ✢ ˚。⋆。

It had been a couple months since that night at the bar when you were lying in Spencer's bed once again. But when you were woken up by your phone ringing you found the other side of the bed was already empty.

"Hey Emily, what's up?" You said answering the call, still slightly foggy from just being woken up.

"We need you back at Quantico asap. Do you think you can make it?" She responded.

"Yeah, I'll do my best to get there as fast as I can."

"Ok great, see you." She said before hanging up on you.

Quickly you swung out of bed. You pulled on some clothes you had left at Spencer's place before heading to the bathroom to pull your hair up in a ponytail and put on a little makeup. Just as quickly as you had woken up, you were out the door. Before you could fully leave Spencer's apartment you noticed a piece of paper by his coffee pot, already filled with coffee.

It read,

Hey y/n, sorry if I'm not there when you wake up, something urgent came up. I'll see you at work. - Spencer.

You smiled to yourself reading the note. Despite the whole 'I'm yours' thing, you and Spencer's relationship hadn't really changed that much. You never talked about it, you didn't label what you were and you especially didn't talk about either of your feelings. To be completely honest, you were disappointed. After that night you felt like you were on cloud 9, only for him to act like it never happened. But you didn't want to lose him so you brushed it off, settling for sleeping in his arms knowing he didn't feel the same.

After a twenty minute drive, you finally arrived at the BAU. You raced into the building and quickly made your way into the conference room. Being the last one there, Emily and Garcia began to present the case.

"Who remembers this agent?" Emily asked as she clicked an image of a man in his mid to late thirties onto the screen in front of you all.

"I do not." Matt replied

"Me neither." You creased your brows.

"That's agent Owen Quinn. He worked here until he quit a year ago." Penelope clarified.

"He worked in the violent crimes apprehension program on the 5th floor, but he aspired to be a profiler." Tara added on, as your eyes shifted to Spencer standing on the other side of the room. Your worry about what was so urgent began to settle in as you prayed it had nothing to do with this case. You had a bad feeling.

"So, why'd he quit?" Simmons asked

"He was convinced there was an unsub we missed working up and down the northeast corridor. He named him "The Strangler." Luke stated

"Naming the unsub. That's exactly what we don't do." Simmons scoffed slightly.

"That wasn't his only mistake." Rossi remarked.

"Yeah, we reviewed his report. He started with a single victim... A woman in Maryland who'd been strangled and had the hyoid bone at the front of her throat removed, but she was his only confirmed victim." Lewis farther explained.

"One murder doesn't make you a serial killer." You said curiously.

"Yeah, we told him that. So he started forcing missing persons into his victimology to fit his profile." Lewis said. "In the end, 5 of his 7 victims showed up alive and unharmed, 2 were inconclusive."