Guilt Turned to Fear Instead of Relief

Alain suddenly realized that Mairin was willing to give people second chances no matter what they do to her. However, instead of the idea of it all easing his guilt, Alain grew cold with fear that one day someone might break that part of Mairin by taking advantage of her boundless innocence and easily forgiving nature.

Alain: I know you were trying to ease my guilt with everything I ever did to your daughter, and it did the trick_

Raymond and Kimberly: Yes, we did it! We're great people.

Alain: _ for about five seconds. But after that, my guilt was quickly replaced with fear.

Raymond: AWW! Our attempts at consolation backfired again? What would it take to get you to think better of yourself, MISTER?!

Kimberly: I don't get it. Why was your guilt replaced with fear instead of relief? There's nothing to be afraid of for you, anymore.

Kimberly tried further to console Alain, but he swiped his arm away from her comforting hand. She gasped at this. Raymond was about to scold him for swiping his arm away from his wife's comfort when Alain spoke up about the reason for his fear.

Alain: I'm not scared of anything that has to do with myself. I'm frightened for Mairin.

Kimberly: Oh, I see. Only Mairin would be able to console you the way your fears are now. I'll go see if I can get her from the beach.

Kimberly got up from her position to go get her daughter from on the beach. Raymond did not know what to say to Alain about his unreasonable behavior, anymore. At least, Raymond finally knew what was making his daughter's friend so scared all of a sudden.

Raymond: At first, I was going to scold you about rejecting my wife's consolation. It didn't even cross my mind that you were afraid for my little girl, Mairin. I'm sorry. I wish my wife and I could've known that you're once again trying to look for our daughter.

Alain: I guess that we all have opinions about other people we wish we could've seen coming to our way. I suppose that there will always be truths about others that we wish we could've been better prepared to know.

Raymond: I guess it's simply a lot harder to judge someone when you know the whole story that is their life.