Evangeline's Rage and Yvonne's Regret

Just then, Kimberly and Mairin were coming into view of the beach house. Mairin decided to finally help Alain out, but first find out what was making him so afraid for her instead of himself. He told her the whole story of why he had suddenly become so frightened for her. Upon hearing his reason, she realized she really was the only person who could console him. Just as she was about to try to console him, they all heard a racket coming from the sisters' home.

Mairin: That came from the sisters' house. Now, I know we should try to help them.

All four of them went close enough to hear the whole thing without even getting into the sisters' home yard. Yvonne was outside of the house, while Evangeline was in an argument with their parents about her sister ruining her earrings.

Evangeline: Why do you have to always blame me, mom and dad? Every time Yvonne does something bad, I'm the one who gets punished for it. You two always take Yvonne's side. It's not fair. I wish Yvonne were never even born.

Evangeline and Yvonne's mother: That's an awful thing to say about your sister.

Evangeline: I don't need a sister around. Yvonne's nothing but a nuisance.

Outside, Yvonne could hear everything Evangeline said about her to their mother and father. Yvonne decided that if Evangeline did not want her around, she would just leave. Mairin tried to stop her by talking to her.

Mairin: Uh, hi, Yvonne. Is everything alright?

Yvonne made a run for the ocean as fast as her tiny legs could go. Mairin tried to stop her from going to the ocean, but Yvonne was too fast for a little girl, and Mairin was still just too clumsy to catch up with the child. Mairin tripped as soon as she started to go after Yvonne. She landed on her forehead.

Mairin (continued): OWWW, OW, OW, OW! I can't believe I tripped even when going after Poor Little Yvonne. No one deserves to feel like things would be better if they were never born. I have to go and reassure Yvonne that it'll be OK.

Suddenly, Mairin started to feel a bit dizzy from hitting her forehead when she landed. Alain moved forward to catch his friend. Her hat fell off her head when he caught her. He handed Mairin to her 'uncle'/father.

Alain: Take Mairin back inside the guest house. I'm going after Yvonne. I'm sure Evangeline didn't mean what she said, but I'm not sure that Yvonne knows that. I'll go after Yvonne to stop her from trying anything too drastic and to reassure her.

With that, Alain took off after Little Yvonne. When he found her, she was walking towards the ocean, looking pretty ready to drown herself. He ran towards her, caught her and pulled her back towards the shore. She put up a bit of a struggle, though.

Yvonne: Let me go! Let me go! Unhand me, weirdo!

Then upon coming back to shore, Yvonne looked at just who had stopped her from her attempt to drown herself in the ocean. It was none other than her cousin, Mairin's, own friend, Alain. The one she had a crush on. She immediately regretted what she had called him and begged for forgiveness.

Yvonne (continued): Forgive me, sir. I was out of line for what I said. It's just_ I made my sister so angry at me, she even told our mom and dad that she wished I had never even been born. I figured if Evangeline hates me that much, I might as well just die.